Bent Derailleur Hanger?

huggy_bizzle
huggy_bizzle Posts: 13
edited April 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I think I have a bent derailleur hanger, I purchased, to the best of my knowledge, a '26" Cube Reaction GTC Pro 2012' carbon frame,complete with derailleur hanger, a couple of months ago. Exactly like the one below:
2012-04-24_1111.png?1472171965
If I were to change gear into the largest ring in the rear cassette (of a 3x9 setup) and have it in either the middle or larger chainring and pedal backward (abouth half a pedal rotation) the chain will slip down 3 or 4 cogs in the rear cassette.

I have taken a picture of the rear profile of the hanger with the wheel and chain off, what do you guys think?
http://imgur.com/a/R63xd

I have emailed an online bike shop to see what hanger I need, as I intend to buy a new one anyway. If the one on my bike isn't bent, at least I have a spare one! :)

I don't think that it's a bent derailleur, but I do think there is something wrong, as the groupset, (Shimano XT 770) worked ok on my old Carrera Kraken and I haven't had a crash or anything.

I did ask my LBS (who Stripped down the Kraken, 2 months ago, and used the parts that I spent 3 years upgrading to build up my new 'Cube' bike) to check the derailleur hanger with an alignment tool while he was working on some other stuff for me, but I don't think he did, he just told me it all looks fine.
My Hardtail:
http://imgur.com/a/zlgUS

Although I must admit, I had to return the forks due to a seal popping out of the air side on a ride and I wasn't even 'off road!!' :shock:

I now have Rockshox Reba's as opposed to the 30 Golds in the picture, without a remote, which I think I prefer. :D

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Perfectly normal to shift gear when back pedaling, there is nothing on the top run to guide the chain, what you do with the rear mech isn't really going to have any effect and so it's unlikely to be a bent hanger.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.