Rounded bolt / bottom bracket guide removal

pfnsht
pfnsht Posts: 22
edited May 2017 in Workshop
Hi guys,

Help me save my sanity - I'm changing my rear derailleur and threading a new cable through and I've rounded the bolt that holds the guide in place - any ideas on how to get the bloomin thing off (and where to source a replacement bolt.. )?

https://goo.gl/photos/LqX7m9udVfHoV28Q9

I've had the BB off in desperation and as expected you can't access it from underneath.

It's a PX RT 80 frame / Dong Fu FM066

Cheers for any guidance...

Matt

Comments

• frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    I would try hammering a torx bit into it or you could try cutting a slot in it with a dremel. Most generic bolts with the right thread size will fit, a deeper head will give better engagement with an allen key in the future and only protrude a few mm.
  • pfnsht
    Ahhh yes a dremel - why did I not think of that!! Thank you

I did try the torx idea but didn't succeed. I didn't hit too hard as worried about the impact on the frame.

Yes definitely going to look for a bolt with a head that protrudes. This is rediciulous a relatively straight forward job has been parked by a silly bolt because of internal cable routing (grrr).
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    If you the dremel idea doesn't work (that would be my first choice), then drill through the centre. with a small drill bit and then use an easy out.
  • I'm guessing that you want to remove the guide to thread the cable?

Just run the cable through the down tube and use a magnet on the outside of the tube to guide it. No need to remove the guide.
  • pfnsht
    Thanks guys, the dremel approach worked. I had to put my electric 18v drill on torque level 4.5 out of 5 to get it to budge after i'd cut flat head screw notch into the bolt. It does look like it was greased too. Madness!