Live long and prosper

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited April 2017 in Commuting chat
"During the course of the study, regular cycling cut the risk of death from any cause by 41%, the incidence of cancer by 45% and heart disease by 46%.

The cyclists clocked an average of 30 miles per week, but the further they cycled the greater the health boon."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39641122
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    What I always wonder with these studies is how long you need to have been doing this for and how quickly the effect diminishes when you retire.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The Rookie wrote:
    "...regular cycling cut the risk of death from any cause by 41%...."

Wait, what?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Asprilla wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    "...regular cycling cut the risk of death from any cause by 41%...."

Wait, what?
    That's what it says! So presumably, if we all continue cycling until we die, 41% of us can expect to live forever :-)

More seriously, I never quite understand what these stats actually mean; for instance, if my risk of dying from cancer and heart disease decreases by 40%, my risk of dying from other causes must surely increase to compensate (because I have a 100% chance of dying from something). So you could surely claim that cycling to work increases my risk of dying from (say) Alzheimers...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    "Risk of Death" in these studies means risk of dying by a particular age, so possibly it means 41% less chance you'll die by 60 (or 65 or 70) compared to someone who drives to work or commuttes on their backside the whole way.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As above, say (as an example) in your 70th year a non cyclist has a 1% chance of dying in that year, then a cyclist only has a 0.59% chance of dying.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I have no issue with the underlying statistics, I'm just wondering when we'll see a journalist in main stream media outlet that's capable of covering science without writing total garbage.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    That makes sense...

I wonder how much of the correlation is causal. In other words, to what extent your risk of death is reduced actually by cycling, vs being the sort of person who is predisposed to cycling. They seem to have adjusted for the obvious factors (like smoking), at least.
    mrfpb wrote:
    ...compared to someone who drives to work or commuttes on their backside the whole way.
    Does this mean I have to ride out of the saddle to get the full benefit? This could be a problem, I almost never get out of the saddle...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Asprilla wrote:
    I have no issue with the underlying statistics, I'm just wondering when we'll see a journalist in main stream media outlet that's capable of covering science without writing total garbage.

Put it this way - your risk of death by the time that happens is 100%.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    30 miles week?

My commute (and it don't do it often) is 18 miles each way.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Squawk
    Squawk Posts: 132
    elbowloh wrote:
    30 miles week?

My commute (and it don't do it often) is 18 miles each way.

If through London, your benefits are outweighed by the increased risk of close contact with Addison Lee drivers. Either that, or we're basically immortal (Mines 14 miles each way into London)