Joshua vs Klitschko

seanoconn
seanoconn Posts: 11,318
edited May 2017 in The cake stop
Might listen to this on the radio as I'm too tight to pay for it.

Who's your money on then?

Personally I don't think the Joshua camp would have taken this fight if they didn't believe Klitschko was past it. Boring points win or late stoppage for Klitschko but I'll go for a Joshua victory, 6th round KO. Klitschko''s chin isn't that great but he knows how to protect it.
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I'm there.

AJ.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Klitschko has bags of experience, but Joshua has the raw power and will win the match, he's no Tyson, but he's not far off... it is a question whether he will give him a lesson or the Ukranian will manage to get to the end on his feet.

My forecast: Klitschko will go down at the 8th round
    left the forum March 2023
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Both have quick hands but Joshua has slower feet. Klitschko is still a mobile fighter which Joshua isn't quite as mobile. Klitschko is a canny fighter who knows his weaknesses and how to defend them. He is clever and knows he's at the wrong end of what has been a very good boxing career. He won't go into a fight without confidence it's at worst an even fight.

Having said that Joshua for the win, but then I'm not a big boxing fan just got idle curiosity about it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Whatever the outcome, boxing needs "classics"... matches to remember, like I still remember Hagler-Mugabe in the 1980s... if it went to the double digit rounds with a bit of drama thrown in (couple of KD would do), it would be good advertising for the sport... and of course it would call for a rematch...
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Klitschko has been a class act throughout his remarkable career and so has AJ through his short one. It's difficult to dislike either of them (which is usually how I pick a side in boxing) but AJ for me . . . as rounds 6 and 8 have been taken, I'll go for round 7.

As we stand at the gates of the dawn of perhaps one of the greatest boxing matches in history, what we really need now is the kind of pugilogical insight that only VTech could give us . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • ugo.santalucia
    laurentian wrote:
    Klitschko has been a class act throughout his remarkable career

In the 1960s and 70s he wouldn't have been in remote sight of a belt... he thrived for lack of opposition
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Joshua.

Klitschko can't be blamed for the mediocrity of the opponents he's met over his career. Joshua will take over once Klitscko calls it a day and he'll be in the same boat. Heavyweight division has been pants for years.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Hard to really judge Klitschko because of the lack of heavyweights for the past decade, but I'm not sure how seriously he treated Fury - so was that a fluke?

It's one of those fights where going in you could see a win both ways....but wouldn't be a surprise at all if it's an easy win for Joshua.

Hope it's a good fight, because after Klitschko there isn't much left out there in the division.
  • seanoconn
    laurentian wrote:
    Klitschko has been a class act throughout his remarkable career and so has AJ through his short one. It's difficult to dislike either of them (which is usually how I pick a side in boxing) but AJ for me . . . as rounds 6 and 8 have been taken, I'll go for round 7.

As we stand at the gates of the dawn of perhaps one of the greatest boxing matches in history, what we really need now is the kind of pugilogical insight that only VTech could give us . . .
    It is nice (although nice doesn't always suit Boxing) that the two opponents seem to have respect for one another and there's no talk of decapitation or pushing noses through brains.
  • seanoconn
    With the average height and weight of the worlds population increasing, why has the heavy weight division been in decline for the past 30 years?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    The Heavyweight division has struggled since the Tyson era with the politics of the promoter and having too many belts that there is little or no interest in unifying. There are probably some very, very good heavyweights out there but they aren't signed to the right promoter and, regardless of what people say, most boxers and their promoters select fights to achieve a win and build a "brand", NOT to satisfy the boxing viewing public. And that's all before you get the politicking between the various boards..... Wilder and Parker (two of the current "Champions" are a great example of this!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ugo.santalucia
    Top fights have been hard to organise... cost too much as promoters are exceedingly greedy and don't make enough in TV rights... that's why we waited 10 years to see a rather disappointing Mayweather v Paquiao
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    seanoconn wrote:
    laurentian wrote:

It is nice (although nice doesn't always suit Boxing) that the two opponents seem to have respect for one another and there's no talk of decapitation or pushing noses through brains.

Yep. I understand the need to be confident in your ability when you are going in to do a job that realistically leave you dead or permanently injured. However, the pantomime antics of the last couple of decades have put me off the sport. You can be confident and aggressive while still showing respect for each other. Given the very real risks I find that sort of thing really distasteful and wonder how a person making these comments would feel if they found themselves genuinely causing serious long term injury. These two have mutual respect and to be fair to Klitshco I can't recall him doing much of that in his career.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Ali started the trend, those who followed continued in the tradition, but not having a fraction of Ali's humour and charisma, it all became a very stale and distasteful script... time to end it, unless you can talk like Ali
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    laurentian wrote:
    Klitschko has been a class act throughout his remarkable career

In the 1960s and 70s he wouldn't have been in remote sight of a belt... he thrived for lack of opposition

I was referring more to his public persona pre and post fight rather than his ability . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • ugo.santalucia
    laurentian wrote:

I was referring more to his public persona pre and post fight rather than his ability . . .

Well, they are smart well educated kids, the Klitschkos aren't they? Are they not engineers or something? They certainly break the mould of the kid from a deprived background with an absent father who gets into trouble with the law and finds his way on the ring... oh wait, that's Joshua... :wink:
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Joshua wins in the eleventh round!

Bloody good fight, one of the best I've seen for years and years

I had Klitschko four rounds ahead going into the eleventh round, Joshua had been on his arse for the first time in his career and he needed a KO to win and bloody hell he did it

Joshua proved himself a warrior in the ring, that was a win borne out of a sheer desire to win

A proper World Champion.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    What. A. Fight.

Looked pretty crap at range though did AJ.

Better fighter than a boxer, if ya know what I mean.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Brilliant fight. How Joshua managed to get through those middle rounds I'll never know. The uppercut lining up the first knockdown in the 11th round was massive, nearly took Klitschko's head off
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Second great evening's boxing entertainment from Sky.
    £40 well spent.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Good match? Haven't seen it... way past my bed time and I don't have Sky... :-)
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Stunning.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I've just gone back and watched the fight again, Joshua had no right to survive the sixth and seventh rounds at all, that was just sheer will to survive and then to put together that punch combination in the eleventh round when he was completely out on his feet in the tenth ......stunning, just stunning!!
  • ugo.santalucia
    Sounds like a classic... need to see if I find it on youtube

Shame it's the end of the road... meaning there is no one credible out there for Joshua to fight... AFAIK
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244

Shame it's the end of the road... meaning there is no one credible out there for Joshua to fight... AFAIK

If Fury gets his act together, no?
  • seanoconn

If Fury gets his act together, no?
    Managed to watch the fight in the end. Great entertainment. Surprisingly all of the ringside commentators had Klitschko at least a round up before the stoppage but two of the 3 judges had Joshua 2 rounds to the good. Joshua has fast hands and can release pretty snappy combinations for a big man. But he does look extremely ponderous with little or no head movement. If I were the Joshua camp I'd avoid Fury like the plague. If Fury were to get his act together I could see him easily stealing the fight.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I don't rate Fury very much... he has serious mental issues and ultimately he will always struggle with form... totally unreliable and probably not worth bothering... who wants an all UK fight apart from UK fans (which is a small market)?

There is/was an American guy that looks like a block of granite... what's his name?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    The Deontay Wilder fight is probably the biggest one out there for AJ. He needs to work on his defence a bit before that because that guy can hit hard.

There's also the New Zealand guy Parker and Luis Ortiz who is a big unit.
  • ugo.santalucia
    MrB123 wrote:
    The Deontay Wilder fight is probably the biggest one out there for AJ. He needs to work on his defence a bit before that because that guy can hit hard.

There's also the New Zealand guy Parker and Luis Ortiz who is a big unit.

Wilder, that's the one... he looks a more credible fight than Fury
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Says it all that you couldn't even recall the guy's name...