Singapore

Bassworm
Bassworm Posts: 21
edited May 2017 in Road general
Being sent to Singapore for the next ten days. Anyone got experience of riding out there, and can anyone recommend anywhere to hire a bike? Thanks in advance

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    First thing to be aware of is just how hot and humid it is there. It would be too hot for me to ride without acclimatisation. And basically it's a city state. I've been there quite a bit and hardly seen any "cyclists". That said, there is a park where people ride but I don't remember where. Most people exercising outside are runners.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • try a shop ride - I have heard they're pretty good with quite a solid local scene. Don't know any names but a quick search on the internet should yield some positive results.
  • Wake up early, it get super hot and busy during the day!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Wake up early,

With an 8-hour time difference, that's the last thing you'll want to do :shock: :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • djhnz
    djhnz Posts: 50
    check out ANZA or Joyriders. The traffic sucks, but there is some decent riding around Changi. Join ANZA Cycling Facebook page where updates are all posted.

Been here for 3 weeks for work myself.
  • djhnz wrote:
    check out ANZA or Joyriders. The traffic sucks, but there is some decent riding around Changi. Join ANZA Cycling Facebook page where updates are all posted.

Been here for 3 weeks for work myself.

One more for contacting Anza. I was in Malaysia for 2 1/2 years, they visited us a couple or times to ride with a mutual friend, great bunch of people.

Yes, it is very hot and humid in that part of the world. Hydrate, get up early, take 2 bottles and try to finish before about 11am.
  • Scotty-Gee
    Scotty-Gee Posts: 156
    Try and squeeze in an RTI- round the island- session. Tough day out in the heat but good fun.

As others have said, start 5,6am and be done early. It will rain heavy in the afternoon but dry quickly. It gets dark really quickly so take little lights.

Enjoy.
  • Bassworm
    Bassworm Posts: 21
    Thanks for the advice chaps, been so busy I haven't had an opportunity to check anything out yet but hope to get a ride in before I head home on the weekend.