Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels

Sutton_Rider
Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Has anyone had any issues with Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels. In particular the rear. I have a grinding type noise, seems to be coming from the hub side, maybe bearing, the wheel has done less than 800 dry miles. Are these wheels any good?

Comments

• In my experience, Fulcrum wheels tend to be okay in the dry ... but the sealing of the freehub cartridge bearings (single sided) isn't the best so they tend to wear out quicker than other brands in wet/winter weather. They are easy to replace though, with double-sided sealed cartridges though.

Doing 800 miles in the dry I doubt that's the problem ... perhaps your bearing pre-load is set just a touch too tight. There is an adjustable collar on the non-driveside to change this ... you'll need a 2.5 (or 3mm) allen key to loosen the collar and then turn it slightly anti-clockwise then re-tighten the bolt. You shouldn't need to turn this by much though.

When I got my Fulcrum Racing 7's, one of the wheels what a little rough out the box and I had to back off the pre-load to get it right. Only got to use them for 150 miles though, as was rear ended by a car and the wheelset was written off :-(
  • Sutton_Rider
    Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
    edited April 2017
    I know the collar of which you speak, but this wheel doesn't have this collar. I'm confused now, here's the bike spec https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Focus ... -2016/9TCG
  • It could be that the wheel is not a Racing 7, but a Fulcrum WH-CEX 7.0
  • Ah, sounds like it's an OEM version of the Racing 7 then.

In that case it's likely that the problem is that a bearing has failed.

These vids may be of help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RvHCM4_J9k
    http://acatalepsia.org/?p=98
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Has anyone had any issues with Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels. In particular the rear. I have a grinding type noise, seems to be coming from the hub side, maybe bearing, the wheel has done less than 800 dry miles. Are these wheels any good?

I have a pair of Campag Khamsin which I think are basically the same wheel just rebranded.

I have been suffering with a very similar noise, and then the week before last my freehub stopped working. The pawl spring had snapped - replaced and despite the noise occurring again on the first ride I haven't heard it since.

Something to keep in mind.
  • It looks like its the hub. Still waiting for a warrentee replacement. From what I've found out about these wheels they are sh!t and should be avoided at all costs. I've brought some Mavic Aksium Elites for now. When the Fulcrum gets repaired I'll use it as a spare. Thanks for all your input guys.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    It looks like its the hub. Still waiting for a warrentee replacement. From what I've found out about these wheels they are sh!t and should be avoided at all costs. I've brought some Mavic Aksium Elites for now. When the Fulcrum gets repaired I'll use it as a spare. Thanks for all your input guys.

I have had no problems with my Fulcrum racing 7 wheels. I have done a few thousand miles on them and they were not new when I bought them.
  • My wheels are Fulcrum WH-CEX 7.0 a cheap OEM version of the Racing 7. Hope yours hold up lesfirth.