Installing a Reducer Crown

huggy_bizzle
huggy_bizzle Posts: 13
edited April 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I have ordered a Pair of Rockshox Reba's (straight steerer) to fit my Cube Reaction GTC Pro 2012 carbon frame (bought second hand with headset intalled). The headset appears to be tapered, yet the forks that were originally in the frame (I don't have these as the I bought frame only) had a striaght steerer.

It looks like the crown race that came with the frame and headset is a reducer crown (it converts a 1 1/8th steerer to fit a 1.5 headset).
prod92344_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=505

What I would like to know is, what type of crown race setting tool would i need to fit the crown race to my new forks? Would I need a 1 1/8 tool? one like this:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-tools-pro-crown-race-setting-tool/rp-prod55933

Or a 1.5 tool? Like this:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-tools-pro-crown-race-setting-tool-1-5-/rp-prod55934

Comments

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    You don't need either. A piece of pipe over the top tried down or careful tapping all the way round with suitable implements will do the job just fine.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I always just use a screwdriver (thick tip) and hammer and just tap it down, work around it to keep it level, never had a problem.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    I found at home that a piece of tube from a redundant kids football goal was the perfect size to fit a straight 1 1/8 race, just a bit of grease at the bottom of the steerer to smooth the way and a few solid taps got it straight down with no issues.
  • So my forks got delivered today and I've managed to install the reducer crown race without purchasing a crown race setting tool. I had in my tool box a chisel bolster that I bought many years ago for a reason i cannot remember, something similar to the image below:

missing-product

I covered it with tape and tapped down evenly around the tube until it was flush to the crown.

I now have to wait for a delivery that's due tomorrow, of my saw guide, (I don't trust myself cutting it straight) I will then cut down the steerer tube, of which I have already measured, minus 3mm and install the star nut and away we go. I have to say, this is the first time I have installed a fork 'properly', fingers crossed it all goes well.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It doesn't matter if the steerer is cut dead straight. As long as there's enough space between the top and the topcap and it's not below the top stem bolt, it makes no difference whatsoever.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • larkim
    I used a cheap pipe cutter from B&Q for a nice neat straight cut as i can never cut straight with a saw. I know it didn't need to be straight but it is so much nicer when it is!

http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-tube- ... 157_BQ.prd