Garmin ride summary is garbage??

pbassred
pbassred Posts: 208
edited May 2017 in Road general
Edge 1000.
Last Saturday I know I rode a 22km course is just under an hour. It was what you might call "mixed country" terrain in Hertfotshire. So some short sharp hills. When I saved the ride it gave me summary data.
Time 9:25.85
Distance 3.65km
laps1
Average speed 23.14
max speed 36.18
average heart rate 125
max 1437
calories 101
ascent 24 meters
decent 26

the time,distance calories and climb are all well off and not what it uploaded to stava. Also it gives me heartzone numbers that dont add up to even half the length of the ride and they seem to be the same numbers as the last few rides. What is happening?

**** EDIT - There is an answer at the end of the thread ****

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    If your Garmin is auto linking the Connect activity to Strava then nothing is wrong, as your Strava ride is correct.

Can you share the Connect link here?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Time - have you set it to autopause so one is only recording moving time ?
    Calories - that's bobbins on both garmin and strava. The lower one will be closer to the mark but still bobbins.
    Climb - have you calibrated the garmin by letting it know your home altitude ?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I had one ride where the time was way out - turns out I didnt reset when I finished the ride. Realised when I was about to start the next ride, did it then and the elapsed time included the time the unit was off. Moving time was still OK though I think. Could it be you did similar?

As for the other bits, could it be that it said 'Lap 1', rather than 'Laps: 1'? If so then maybe you accidentally hit the lap button and what it is showing you are the readings prior to starting lap 2? Just making wild guesses here but this was all I came up with as a possibility.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    pbassred wrote:
    Edge 1000.
    Last Saturday I know I rode a 22km course is just under an hour. It was what you might call "mixed country" terrain in Hertfotshire. So some short sharp hills. When I saved the ride it gave me summary data.
    Time 9:25.85
    Distance 3.65km
    laps1
    Average speed 23.14
    max speed 36.18
    average heart rate 125
    max 1437
    calories 101
    ascent 24 meters
    decent 26

the time,distance calories and climb are all well off and not what it uploaded to stava. Also it gives me heartzone numbers that dont add up to even half the length of the ride and they seem to be the same numbers as the last few rides. What is happening?
    Must be hell as you are now officially 6 feet under.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pbassred
    That time is nine hours!
    There is an auto pause so maybe its having an effect.
    I stop and save after every ride. I definetly did on the previous ride. There is a reset? How?
  • apreading
    Saving normally does the reset. I just wonder if at the end of the previous ride, you saved but then accidentally started a new ride, turned the unit off without cancelling it - then when you turned it on again, rather than start a new ride, it resumed the one you inadvertantly started? I dont know the 1000 but it was possible to do this on the 800.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    pbassred wrote:
    That time is nine hours!
    There is an auto pause so maybe its having an effect.
    I stop and save after every ride. I definetly did on the previous ride. There is a reset? How?

Can you link us to the Garmin connect page?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    what did it say as you were going round the course?

before you stopped/saved it did everything look as it should?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • pbassred
    here we are a week later. I just did a 20Km ride and the summary says? .... 3.64Km and 9:25'85 so that data isn' changing. I'm off the the Garmin forum. I will report the answer if I get one.
  • Have you tried editing and cutting the very first and last few meters off your Strava ride? This would effectively remove any accidental start earlier as mentioned.
  • pbassred
    How can it be exactly the same accidental start? How can it be 9 hours?
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    This - and a link to the original FIT file as uploaded. Without these everything said is speculative at best.
  • apreading
    This - and a link to the original FIT file as uploaded. Without these everything said is speculative at best.

Thirded - if you really want help then post a link to the ride - we can have a look and see if we can work out what hapenned then. Without it we cant do much.
  • pbassred wrote:
    How can it be exactly the same accidental start? How can it be 9 hours?

One thing. Where was it bought from and what time does it say on the unit? Is it in BST or is it some other random time zone? It could have the wrong internal clock data. Different time zones can get different updates from Garmin. May also be worth sticking it on the pc and downloading any updates from the website.
  • pbassred
    the unit was reconned by Garmin UK this year. Its running 12.20 and is regularly synced with Garmin Express

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1692273369

I uploaded the .fit file it to dropbox. Here is a link to down load it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ckq8nz4xl...26-26.fit?dl=0

It shows the same time as my PC - BST
  • apreading
    I think the activity is maybe private? It wont let me see it.

And the dropbox URL is not valid - doesnt find anything.

I am happy to look at the file if I can get it somehow! Alternatively you could try an online converter to .CSV format and view the data including all the time stamps in Excel. Something like: http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl/
  • pbassred
    **** THE ANSWER ******
    from Hunnymonster on the Garmin forums. It was nothing to do with any recent ride - it was always the same wrong summery but the uploaded data was always correct. No, it was a mis-dated ride (actually 4). What had happened was that I rode a very short ride and forgot to shut down the Garmin. It sat there until it ran out of power. Then it stuttered a few times, recorded a couple of static rides and died. The trouble was it recorded the date 2 years in the future. Since these were the "most recent rides" it was these that showed up in the summary. I didn't get it because I always download my data into Garmin connect.

The fix:-
    Go to the home screen. Select "History" then "rides". The first will have the incorrect data. In my case the wrong distance and time. Hit the trash can button. Select - kill. Done.

:D