Wahoo Elemnt Bolt Problems

MattHay
MattHay Posts: 5
edited May 2018 in Road general
Just received my new wahoo elemnt bolt direct from wahoo (took a week) and after excitedly opening the box I read through the instructions for once...I then downloaded the companion app so I was all ready to go. So I hit the power button and it stays on the startup screen (just plain wahoo logo with the backlight on). Tried holding power button to force reset and it just keeps freezing on the open page. After eventually getting in touch with an American wahoo support team member she advised charging it for two hours then trying again, still nothing...I'm so frustrated with this thing! Anyone else had similar problem?

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Presumably you've got the app open on your phone when you try starting the Bolt?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • MattHay
    philthy3 wrote:
    Presumably you've got the app open on your phone when you try starting the Bolt?

Yes I have tried it both with companion app open and closed still nothing, the wahoo tech didn't seem particularly surprised so I was hoping someone else has had similar issues with a solution
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Is there any form of "hard reset" you can do?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • MattHay

Yes holding the power button for 10 seconds is classed as a forced reboot but not made a difference have left it on open page for the last 12 hours just waiting on battery dying maybe that will work
  • meanredspider
    MattHay wrote:

Yes holding the power button for 10 seconds is classed as a forced reboot but not made a difference have left it on open page for the last 12 hours just waiting on battery dying maybe that will work

Is there not a more drastic "factory reset" option?

Ironically, this is exactly the problem I had with my first Edge 1000 - locked and refused to do anything at all.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • MattHay
    MattHay wrote:

Is there not a more drastic "factory reset" option?

Ironically, this is exactly the problem I had with my first Edge 1000 - locked and refused to do anything at all.

No not that I can find anyway can't even take battery out or anything what was the solution for your edge 1000?
  • meanredspider
    MattHay wrote:
    what was the solution for your edge 1000?

I ended up sending it back and waiting a year until Garmin had finished it. Not the news you wanted to hear, I'm sure.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Sounds like a fault...return time. Frustrating but these things do happen.
  • LouO
    LouO Posts: 3
    DavidJB wrote:
    Sounds like a fault...return time. Frustrating but these things do happen.

My Bolt did something similar, I hadn't even taken out of the house, only set it up and charged it.

I had to wait 2 days for the (fully charged) battery to go flat, once that had happened it booted up fine.

I will keep mine for a few weeks, if it does it again, it's going back.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Another bad batch.
  • vinnymarsden
    vinnymarsden Posts: 560
    Great little computer, but LOTS of glitches.
    I had 2 before I realised they are no better than a Garmin reliability wise!
    Had an 820 for 7 months now and fingers crossed it’s doing well.
    I think bikecomputers have become like Smart phones, we want them to do too much and actually get smaller at same time!!!!
  • I have had the Elemnt over a year and only had one glitch a week of so after I bought it. Following a software update it became unpaired from my phone and I tried to force it to factory reset by holding the power button. I had a similar issue to you and after a phone call to their support line I charged it up for half a day, even though it was fully charged to begin with. After the 'long' charge it powered up normally and I have not had any other issue whatsoever since.

I'd suggest charging it for longer.