Largest tyres on a BTwin Triban 3?

Gobs
Gobs Posts: 296
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Does anyone know the largest tyres that would fit my partners Triban 3 (for a bit more comfort)?

Stock are 650 x 23's

IMG_0453.jpg

Comments

• chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Michelin Pro 4 25s are just too tight with SKS clip on mudguards on my Triban 5.
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    It will take 25's easily enough. I used Pro 4's and Lithion 3's on my Triban. I didn't use mudguards.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Some of the Btwin bikes comes with 650c wheels so bare that in mind too
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Will depend on the clearance to the underside of the brake calipers and to chainstay bridge, if fitted.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    On my son's triban 3 red, you can fit Michelin Pro4 25mm but I had to file the Crud Roadracer mudguard down where it buts against the caliper to allow for JUST enough clearance. Would be fine without mudguards no problem.

Some 25mm come up bigger though (GP4000S), and it will also depend on how wide your rims are and the resultant shape of the tyre.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    By the way - your quick release is done up wrong. Its less likely on the road but from my MTB days I was always taught to have the lever pointing towards the rear of the bike. If you passed something that clipped your quick release lever, it would flip it open and pop the wheel out of the dropouts - NOT good! The rear is not an issue because your leg would block anything from clipping it but I would change the front.
  • Gobs
    Gobs Posts: 296
    I pinched a photo off Google for speed, it's not actually our steed, but thank you :D

She'll be a fairweather bike, so no mudguards to worry about. I wasn't sure if we could go bigger than 25 for example, as her friend has 700x29, whereas hers are 650x23 and the ride is quite different. Any advance on 650x25? :mrgreen:

Edit* I can't find anything bigger than 23 for 650 wheels. Bugger