Garmin Maps Update

trevorh
trevorh Posts: 87
edited April 2017 in Road general
Recently picked myself up a Garmin Touring. Nothing fancy just something to aid with navigation and round trip routing. Garmin Express says that a maps update is available and I need a micro SD card with at least 8GB of space. The unit already has a card with only 1.3GB of space on it. If I get a blank 8Gb card and do the update on that will I need any of the stored data on the original card (excluding rides and totals etc) which are stored to the Garmin memory or van I just use the new card?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm also interested to know this as I've had the same message. And I'm curious to see if the map update will stop my demented Touring Plus trying to take me down an un-navigable footpath near Snailwell...
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    It's a fault within GarminExpress - you can simply to remove the current map files (suggest you copy them off to your computer... they're the large IMG files) and rerun the update.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    keef66 wrote:
    And I'm curious to see if the map update will stop my demented Touring Plus trying to take me down an un-navigable footpath near Snailwell...

Where's your sense of adventure, man?

(I totally get it - I used to hate it in the middle of nowhere in NL riding across a muddy field)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    keef66 wrote:
    And I'm curious to see if the map update will stop my demented Touring Plus trying to take me down an un-navigable footpath near Snailwell...

(I totally get it - I used to hate it in the middle of nowhere in NL riding across a muddy field)

It's just so annoying, I can't trust any routes it suggests going north because the thing seems to have a fondness for this particular footpath, which is so overgrown I doubt it's passable on foot. And once you stray off the route it's useless. Or I am. Either way, never got anywhere trying to navigate with it on the fly. Maybe I should do that very un-bloke thing and read the manual...

It's totally reliable giving turn by turn directions to follow a course created on the pc and uploaded to it
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    NEVER get your garmin unit to plan a route for you. NEVER. And if you go off a planned route, NEVER let it recalculate. Its the law. Certainly not the 800 seried - the 1000 may be better but I would still stick to the law.
  • meanredspider
    apreading wrote:
    NEVER get your garmin unit to plan a route for you. NEVER. And if you go off a planned route, NEVER let it recalculate. Its the law. Certainly not the 800 seried - the 1000 may be better but I would still stick to the law.

The 1000 is definitely no better - it just calculates the wrong route quicker and it's easier to see how to go the wrong way :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    keef66 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

It's just so annoying, I can't trust any routes it suggests going north because the thing seems to have a fondness for this particular footpath, which is so overgrown I doubt it's passable on foot. And once you stray off the route it's useless. Or I am. Either way, never got anywhere trying to navigate with it on the fly. Maybe I should do that very un-bloke thing and read the manual...

It's totally reliable giving turn by turn directions to follow a course created on the pc and uploaded to it

I started to use only routes I'd created or that I'd downloaded done by others. The trouble is, though, the Dutch fondness for digging up roads and doing nothing by way of detour info. At that point, you're at the mercy of the Garmin (or riding with constant reference to Google Maps).
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    As others have said it's a problem with garmin express rather than the touring it's self.

Mine did this a few times when I first had it but now works very well, though I have never let it plot any route!