Garmin HRM premium soft strap

keef66
keef66 Posts: 13,123
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
I seem to recall this wasn't cheap. Was working just fine till 3 rides ago. Then it told me my max HR for the ride had been 62. I usually exceed that just getting out of bed. I washed and dried the strap. Next ride it recorded a mixture of credible heart rates, suspiciously low ones, and a few periods of clinical death. So I changed the battery. The Garmin beeps to say it's found the HRM but fails to display HR. Nothing at all for the whole ride. Bought and fitted a new battery. Same again; a beep but no HR.

So I'm forced to conclude it's the strap that's at fault. A quick Google suggests I'm far from unique.
Unfortunately I have no receipt, but I think the thing is 2 or 3 years old. Any point in contacting Garmin?? It's used maybe twice a week, and (hand) washed periodically as suggested on the label.

If I get or am forced to buy another strap, anything i can do to prolong it's life? Are there any cheaper / better alternatives?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Does Garmin's replacement policy thing work for straps? I.e. The thing where they'll replace it for a refurbed one at about half price?

ETA - I tried one with my first Garmin 1000 and found I used the regular one and preferred it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think the general advice is that the premium strap does have a lot of features, most of which can be eradicated by buying a Polar strap and fitting the Garmin to it, with the odd bit of cutting with a craft knife. FWIW, I have had the cheapo standard Garmin strap for ages and it works flawlessly.
  • meanredspider
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    FWIW, I have had the cheapo standard Garmin strap for ages and it works flawlessly.

+1
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    The Decathlon Ant+ one works seamlessly with my various Garmin products.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    You keep the active part and buy the Polar fabric part (used to be about a tenner, but it's recently gone up to nearer £15) - like https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007XCLU66

Garmin will sell you the strap alone for £40-45 (versus £45-50 for the strap+active part)

Some people report having to remove the plastic surrounding the press stud attachment - I've not had to though.
  • My Garmin strap died due to the battery leaking and killing all the electronics. I bought a Berry King Ant+ one on Amazon for £20 and has been faultless.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've emailed Garmin but not holding my breath; the serial number suggests it was made in 2007!

More Googling and I think I'll be shopping around for a Polar strap as advised. They come in pink too!
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    As above I've had problems with their "improved" soft strap whereas the hard strap I got with an old forerunner hasn't missed a beat.
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    edited April 2017
    Recently moved from a Garmin premium strap to a Polar one as the Garmin was under reading my HR (after only a year use and taking good care of it). I had enough when it went crazy with the reading on a training ride: https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/5758169-mills

Refer to the HR readings after the second and third interval (in recovery).

All good now with the Polar, works flawlessly with the Garmin transmitter.
  • meanredspider
    What do Wahoo use (just out of interest)?
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Vslowpace wrote:
    As above I've had problems with their "improved" soft strap whereas the hard strap I got with an old forerunner hasn't missed a beat.
    Exactly my experience, my soft strap gave up about 6 months ago so I went back to the old hard strap that came with my original Garmin 305 and it works perfectly.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    I have been using a Polar strap with my Garmin transmitter for the past 2 years. It has performed flawlessly in all that time.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I think the general advice is that the premium strap does have a lot of features, most of which can be eradicated by buying a Polar strap and fitting the Garmin to it, with the odd bit of cutting with a craft knife.

+1 for the above, the Garmin soft strap is pants!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube