wd40 as degreaser

jacobpeacock
jacobpeacock Posts: 66
edited May 2017 in Workshop
can i use wd40 as a degreaser for my chain?

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    It would certainly help remove grease from a chain but not as well as an actual degreaser.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Wd also do a degreaser. Which I would use in preference to Wd40
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    yeah it works fine .... although not as effective/quick as actually using a degreaser ... so its an expensive way of doing it I guess ... WD40 now make a degreaser, the can it comes in is awesome .. they do a whole load of other stuff as well from wet and dry ptfe to silicon etc etc.

I digress .... yes you can degrease safely with wd40 .... don't forget to use a proper lube afterwards though as the wd40 is really really light and its lubeing properties soon wear off
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    It's all I use to clean the chain.Use it regularly enough and you won't need a degreaser.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I have always found it to be quite poor at degreasing, no surprise though as it is primarily for Water Dispersal (hence the name). So, one can use it but there are a lot better products out there. Always ensure you then clean off any degreaser prior to applying lubricant (which obviously is NOT WD40).
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Simon Richardson on GCN bloody loves using WD40 for degreasing and lubing. I've never tried it, but he generally knows what he's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvzVRxlIUL0
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    can i use wd40 as a degreaser for my chain?

As stated - yes, but there are better/cheaper options. Like petrol, diesel or white spirit, which are still cheaper on a 'per litre' basis than almost anything else out there.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,005
    It's also quite sad that a litre of water at a petrol station can sometimes cost more than the petrol.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    It's also quite sad that a litre of water at a petrol station can sometimes cost more than the petrol.

...and it's a rubbish de-greaser.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use WD40 to 'respread' the chain lube, it doesn't work well as a degreaser but it does soften it enough that I can get it back to where I want it!

Means I need to add less lube and the rest doesn't get caked in as much gunge!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Also keeps your frame looking clean. I use it as a sort of polish on a matt carbon frame after a wash.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,317
    Also keeps your frame looking clean. I use it as a sort of polish on a matt carbon frame after a wash.

Eeek, I wouldn't use it on a lacquered finish.

Petrol. For the amount of WD40 you would use to clean 1 chain properly, petrol will do a far better job and work out cheaper.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!