Shimano 2300 8 speed replacement

ZootHornRollo
ZootHornRollo Posts: 85
edited May 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Having a very grumbly grindy noise coming from the rear of my bike I replaced the wheels on advice from LBS.

New wheels run like a dream - never realised the old ones were so bad. This has revealed that the rear mech is also grinding away. The problem is now replacing it.

The bike is a specialized tricross triple 2011 with shimano 2300 8 speed which appears to be obsolete... Along with any other shimano 8 speed.

What do I need to do to replace the rear mech? Am I in for at least shifters and a cassette too?

Cheers,

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    edited April 2017
    Why not take it off, clean it, lube it and refit it?
    Or just buy a Claris 8speed derailleur and use that, it's the same.
  • Gethinceri wrote:
    Why not take it off, clean it, lube it and refit it?
    Or just buy a Claris 8speed derailleur and use that, it's the same pull ratio.

Fair play... Good shout.

I will!

Cheers
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Last gen Sora is a great group set. I went from 2300 to Sora and it was a great (and cheap) upgrade.
  • Germcevoy wrote:
    Last gen Sora is a great group set. I went from 2300 to Sora and it was a great (and cheap) upgrade.

Just looking at that now. There's a used Sora groupset t on the bay just now.

However, it's 2x9. Would I notice big difference Vs the 3x8 I have currently?

Im guessing the overall range of available ratios - mind/max - would be similar with fewer increments to choose from in between?
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Germcevoy wrote:

Just looking at that now. There's a used Sora groupset t on the bay just now.

However, it's 2x9. Would I notice big difference Vs the 3x8 I have currently?

Im guessing the overall range of available ratios - mind/max - would be similar with fewer increments to choose from in between?

I used the 2x9 with 12-27 and 11-30 cassettes and never found the increments between cogs to be any problem. I had been on the triple before hand. I enjoyed the double more because it meant less shifting at the front with the 2300 shift lever which has a really long throw.

Unless you are touring or have a rack full of gear then the double setup should have you more than covered.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Cheapest option would be the Claris 8-speed derailleur to replace your current one. Try taking it off and servicing/living it first to see if that fixes the issue. The 8-speed stuff is super durable and lasts pretty much forever.

A very good value for money total upgrade would be a complete 105 groupset if you wanted to go down the 11-speed path.