Shock losing air

Elgor
Elgor Posts: 10
edited April 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I noticed yesterday that my Xfusion 02 RCX shock is losing about half its air, around 75psi. Iv had the shock for a year and it's still under warranty but do you think a service will fix this? I no it's due a service and was going to get it done next month, but don't want to pay £95 to still have the problem...service or contact Xfusion to try to get it fixed under warranty :?:

Thanks

Comments

• Warranty.
    Stay positive people :)
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Warranty
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How sure are you it's losing pressure? When you attach a shock pump, depending on volume ratios, it will always loose pressure as it fills the connecting pipe and that part of the pump with air to equalise the pressure to inside the shock chamber (which can be a very small volume).

A better way is to measure sag after setting and then some time later allowing for slight changes in temperature of course.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    The Rookie wrote:
    How sure are you it's losing pressure? When you attach a shock pump, depending on volume ratios, it will always loose pressure as it fills the connecting pipe and that part of the pump with air to equalise the pressure to inside the shock chamber (which can be a very small volume).
    I was checking a shock yesterday and found it had "lost" 20 psi over 2 days, but when I pumped it back up and reattached the shock pump it lost 20 psi instantly which was a lot more than 5 psi I'd previously assumed gets lost (Fox RP23 with the shock pump that came with my Giant).

Losing 75psi sounds a bit excessive though, unless the air can is tiny.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    When some cans are small and some are much bigger such as the Debonnaire or my 5th element, the Fox my frame came with would loose about 45psi, the 5th looses about 15. The SPV on a manitou pretty much empties in that it's useless if you don't add any air.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.