Canyon?

davey.davey
davey.davey Posts: 89
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Hey all.

I've been looking at getting myself my first proper road bike.

I thought I wanted a roubaix/domane endurance type of bike but I'm thinking I now want something a bit 'racier'. The bike that has really caught my eye is the Canyon ENDURACE CF SL DISC 9.0. Love the look of it and it seems to be a good spec for the price range (£2199).

My only concern is I haven't really heard of Canyon before or know of anyone that has one. Are there riders on here that have that bike or dealt with Canyon before? Are they a recognised quality brand!?

I'm not sure it's worth just getting a bike from local bike shop to be sure it's the bike for me. But I do really like the look of that bike.

I'm going to be doing mainly 20,30,40,50 mile blasts, but will also do rides of more miles occasionally.

Any help/advice or any other recommendations would be great, cheers

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Try the search feature, failing that Google. Canyon are one of the biggest brands and offer great spec and good bikes but not without a number of possible issues. Lots of other alternatives as well.
  • torino
    torino Posts: 46
    I think the Endurace is much more 'Endurance' than 'Racier'. The geometry is not aggressive, i.e., higher stack. Maybe if you undersize you can get a more racier geometry.
    I do have an Ultimate which is a great bike, but before buying I knew already what stack/reach I wanted, so it was easy.
    If you are not sure about the geometry you want, consider LBS's where you can test-drive some models.
    If going the direct-buy route, consider also the Rose's marathon bikes.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Try the search feature, failing that Google. Canyon are one of the biggest brands and offer great spec and good bikes but not without a number of possible issues. Lots of other alternatives as well.
    Wow, never thought of using google :roll: I came to a message board to get normal riders opinions and maybe other alternatives.
    torino wrote:
    I think the Endurace is much more 'Endurance' than 'Racier'. The geometry is not aggressive, i.e., higher stack. Maybe if you undersize you can get a more racier geometry.
    I do have an Ultimate which is a great bike, but before buying I knew already what stack/reach I wanted, so it was easy.
    If you are not sure about the geometry you want, consider LBS's where you can test-drive some models.
    If going the direct-buy route, consider also the Rose's marathon bikes.

Thanks. Yeah I'm going to a few bike shops at the weekend to test ride some bikes so hopefully I'll get a better understanding of what geometry better suits me. I don't quite understand how a sloping top tube gives you a more upright position!? Surely the seat is still the same distance from the ground and peddles?
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    I have had that exact bike for about a month now.

Firstly, delivery was a week earlier than scheduled, so don't be scared off by stories of terrible service and long delays. That's not to say there aren't still some issues sometimes, but if it shows in stock then you should be fine.

Secondly, if you have any doubts on sizing, email canyon. They have a UK base and are very helpful. I got an extra small which I was wary of but it is absolutely the right size for me.

When the bike arrived the front disc was rubbing annoyingly, although when I rode the bike I couldn't hear it, and after a few rides it now doesn't rub. The brake levers rattle slightly when you're not holding the hoods, which is annoying, but a known issue with the levers apparently, so not much I can do about it. Doesn't happen on smooth roads and to be honest I've tuned it out now.

The frame oozes quality. I have the stealth frame and I think it is gorgeous :-). You will not find components of similar quality on many other bikes in this price range, certainly not from a brand so prominent on the pro scene. I am totally unfit at the moment ('training' for ride London) but this bike (and believe me, it is absolutely down to the bike) has already seen me beat my PBs up several local climbs.

You may find the 28c tyres a bit odd looking at first, compared to 23c they look massive, but they definitely give a more compliant ride than my old bike on the crap roads around here.

There are reviews around for other models in the endurace range, though I couldn't find one for this particular variant. They tend to say that the geometry is at the racier end of the endurance spectrum. It gives a slightly more relaxed position than my previous bike (12 year old bianchi).

Hope this helps a bit, let me know if you've got any specific questions!
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • torino
    torino Posts: 46
    Thanks. Yeah I'm going to a few bike shops at the weekend to test ride some bikes so hopefully I'll get a better understanding of what geometry better suits me. I don't quite understand how a sloping top tube gives you a more upright position!? Surely the seat is still the same distance from the ground and peddles?

Don't bother about the slope, focus on the stack and reach, in particular on the ratio. Canyon's website has some drawings that help you understand the idea.

What bike are you currently riding? Is it a road bike? Try to find (or measure) the stack and reach, so at least you have a reference.
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    Also it comes with a few spacers (about 30mm worth) under the stem so you could easily get a more aggressive position if that was what you wanted.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Thanks shakster, very helpful. Sounds like you are very pleased with your purchase, awesome! One of my concerns was about the wider tyres not feeling racey enough. I'll research a bit more on that. Didn't know they had a U.K department too so that's good to hear.

Torino, thanks for the reply. I am currently using my old mountain bike (carrera fury) as I have started riding on the roads (got bored of taking it in the car just to find a half decent trail) and am loving it. The proper road bike riders come absolutely flying passed me and are seemingly putting a lot less effort in, thought I've got to have a bit of that haha! I'll have to research a bit more on the geometry side of things, as this is all very new to me.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Like any other Canyon thread this will turn into an "owners love them" and "others doubt" thread. The simple answer is if you're happy taking the chance with direct sale then they do good bikes for the money*.

*and don't be prejudiced by things like my mate having to reclaim his old Wilier from his friend so that he could still ride whilst his Canyon went back for a frame change due to the BB never fitting correctly as the shell was 2mm different from side to side - their first answer was "just glue it in". Funnily enough he was a fan until then......
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris