Some advice pls

Alexcycling
Alexcycling Posts: 20
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi guys , I am willing to buy myself a new bike but I have no idea what kind of crank and cassette I should buy . ( number of teeth , compact , triple ,...? ) . I train in a terrain where the race "La Flèche Brabançonne " takes place . I cycle +-250km a week and I'm 16 years old . Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Hi guys , I am willing to buy myself a new bike but I have no idea what kind of crank and cassette I should buy . ( number of teeth , compact , triple ,...? ) . I train in a terrain where the race "La Flèche Brabançonne " takes place . I cycle +-250km a week and I'm 16 years old . Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance

Single speed boss. Everything else is for wimps.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    There must be lots of cycling clubs, shops around ? They would be a good place to find a decent second hand bike.

You don't need a triple. Compact - that's up to you really. YOu're doing a lot of cycling already so whats working or not working for you ?
  • Well I have a triple (30/39/50) , cassette 28/12 but I don't like it . I want to change to a double . I now use my third chainring on flat roads and I don't think that's normal . So I'd like some advice for my crankset and cassette ( 38/53,34/50,... because I have no idea what the differences are ) . I train on short hills and I'm going to start racing next year
  • I have a triple now and I don't like it
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Compact 34/50 and 12-28 covers most situations. If you're buying a new bike, you won't have much choice and it will most likely come with that anyway.

For someone who rides a lot and knows a lot of terminology, I'm struggling a bit to figure out why you can't understand what the differences are...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Well I have a triple (30/39/50) , cassette 28/12 but I don't like it . I want to change to a double . I now use my third chainring on flat roads and I don't think that's normal . ...

I don't understand what that means. When you say 3rd chainring, do you mean you are spinning out on 50/12 on the flat? That is going some so I suspect you just aren't spinning fast enough. Be careful of the term "Double" as that is typically 53/39 (as in the bigger BCD) whereas Compact is 2 rings but typically 50/34 (smaller BCD).