Tubeless Tyres - Repair or Replace?

crooks
crooks Posts: 23
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Hi all,

I've been running tubeless (Schwalbe Pro One) for about a year and have been very happy with them. In the last week though I've suffered two punctures. On both occasions, the tyre has sealed itself and I've got home without a crises. They seem to seal at around 30psi but will not re-inflate beyond that without blowing the sealant back out of the puncture.

So now I have two punctured tyres, one of them brand new, and am finding conflicting reports on the long-term fix. One school suggests repairing the tyre with a tubeless patch, the other, replacing the tyre. Forking out on a brand new tyre every time I get a puncture isn't an attractive option! Tubeless tyres are marketed as "puncture resistant" but the reality seems to be that they're quite fragile. It's only the sealant that provides the resilience and it's not a long-term fix.

Can anyone recommend a tubeless repair that will extend the life of the tyre beyond the first puncture?

Cheers,
Steve

Comments

• Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    I've successfully used the Hutchinson tubeless repair kit to patch Schwalbe S-One road tubeless. The kit comes in either road or MTB versions, the only difference being that the MTB version has larger diameter patches.
  • crooks
    crooks Posts: 23
    Nick Payne wrote:
    I've successfully used the Hutchinson tubeless repair kit to patch Schwalbe S-One road tubeless. The kit comes in either road or MTB versions, the only difference being that the MTB version has larger diameter patches.

Thanks Nick, I've ordered a kit and I'll see how it goes. If it saves an endless loop of replacing tyres, the beers are on me!

Steve
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I just stick a normal patch inside mine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools