Cable colour help

SME
SME Posts: 348
edited April 2017 in Road general
OK, help with just a little dilema...
(something a little 'lighter' to think about!)

This is the bike...
Trek_2.3.jpguploading picturescertificity.com

I've recently changed the tyres, chain, and intend to redo the bar tape (same colours).
I noticed that the plastic on the outer cables are cracked in some places and need replacing. I've considered possibly changing the plain black for either white or blue but wondered if I'll just be over doing it a bit. The outer cables at the back DR and brake are already blue.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    It's not really a dilemma is it?

My strongest advice is to go to a shop and ask for some cables to fit.

If they ask what colour you want, make your excuses and go to another shop.

Although exhaustive tests have shown that initial bite is often improved with blue outers on the front, the situation vis a vis cable pigment is entirely contrariwise regarding the rear. Red will often provide a sharper initial bite but will fade over the extent of a descent into a morass of underdeveloped and inaccurate feedback to the lever.

So stick with black, or look for inside-out cable, whose colour is on the inside and whose braking effect can be measured in metres.
  • SME
    Ah, red, the 'go faster' colour - hadn't considered that!

The problem of the initial bite which will fade over the extent of a descent into a morass of underdeveloped and inaccurate feedback to the lever can be addressed by a Heisenburg Compensator on the dual pivot spring!

No... not a great dilemma, I just wondered what other people thought on coloured cable outers, and whether I'd be adding too much colour?

Photoshop is providing an answer, but my colouring skills with a mouse are.... well, need a little help!
  • vrsmatt
    vrsmatt Posts: 160
    I think it would be overdoing it and looking like you're trying too hard. Its nice and clean and relatively subtle as is :-)
    Giant TCR Composite 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Comp, Santa Cruz Heckler, Raleigh M-Trax Ti, Strida LT, Giant Halfway
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Already too many different blues for my taste. Blue cables would look worse.
  • SME
    Thanks both.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Go black or if you want it to look flash some metal type non compression, white looks tacky made that mistake myself in the past.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • SME
    Go black or if you want it to look flash some metal type non compression, white looks tacky made that mistake myself in the past.

A friend at work came in one day with some cable outers that kind of looked like shower hose links, but figure 8 chain link shaped - are these non compression type ones you refer to?
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Over doing it? It's already over done...

But, it's your bike so do as you please.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,589
    Orange, obvs.