Dolan FXE

dyrlac
dyrlac Posts: 751
edited May 2017 in Your road bikes
After hitting 10,000 kilometres on my Charge Plug, I recently treated myself to a new fixed gear bike. Even though the usual rule is that your second fixie ought to be a Cinelli, my loyalty to Dolan borders on the unreasonable (although if they persist with the new logo, I may rethink this). So, I present, the Dolan FXE, which I built up using salvaged parts from the Plug and other bits from the spares drawer:

28774103851_9a5981beb6_b.jpg

Frame: Dolan FXE - 52cm
Fork: Dolan/Alpina Carbon Winter Fork (Aluminum Steerer)
Headset: Alpina 36x45
Seatpost: Alpina Alloy 350mm
Saddle: Selle Italia X1 Flow

Chainset: Shimano Dura Ace 7710 48T (Stages PM on NDS Crank)
Sprocket: Shimano Dura Ace 16T
Brakes: Shimano 105
Brake Levers: 3T Pro Aero
Chain: KMC Z510-HX 1/8"

Bars: Deda Crononero Aerobars (Low Rider 40cm)
Tape: Deda Mistral (Perforated) Bar Tape
Stem: Deda Zero 2 110mm

Pedals: Shimano PD-M520 (SPD)

Wheelset: V-Sprint alloy handbuilts (Miche Primato hubs)
Tyres: Michelin Pro4 Endurance V2 Folding 23mm

Have ridden it about 500km, properly aggressive and (if I do say so myself) looks the business. Can't wait to get back on after my femur knits itself back together.

28849950055_2d6acf24c7_m.jpg

Comments

• How does it feel on rides over a few hours? Does it feel harsh at all? And how are those steep angles – ok on the roads?

I'm quite interested in the FXE as I'm after something different to my steel fixed ride which really beats me up.

Thanks
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Always fancied a fixie, but too chicken. Agree on the logo.

Good fence that.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    While comfort is pretty subjective, this bike isn't really built for comfort: tyres are 23mm, seat (which I see wasn't level when I took the picture) to bar drop is pretty silly, position is stretched with the pursuit bullhorns and 110mm stem, alu frame is rigid (especially if coming from steel). But it does go zoom zoom and looks like a proper bike, and I'll put up with a lot for that; 2600 km so far.
  • Re the logo, wonder if Deda had a word?

deda_logo.jpg

NEW%20DOLAN%20OVAL.jpg
  • onionmk
    onionmk Posts: 101
    Re the logo, wonder if Deda had a word?

deda_logo.jpg

NEW%20DOLAN%20OVAL.jpg

I always found it rather curious that the logos looked similar. After all, deda provide most of the finishing kit on dolan bikes and my old dolan was made from dedacciai steel.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,175
    Nice...

the chain seems a bit slack...
    left the forum March 2023