Fork swap

timbo_tim
timbo_tim Posts: 199
edited April 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
All

I plan to steal my wife's q-loc suntour raidon (off her trott MTB1) and swap for my QR suntour radon (from my Boardman comp). I am pretty comfortable with brake removal and fiddling with the stem, but do I need to worry about headsets / bearings etc or can I just swap over as a single unit?

Anything I should look out for (apart from angry missus) to do this. Given the difference in frame size will the stock un-cut tube be roughly the same length?

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends if they have the same shaped steerer tube - straight/tapered.

Why should the stock steerer be uncut - it will normally be cut by the factory to fit the frame. A ruler will tell you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • timbo_tim
    cooldad wrote:
    Why should the stock steerer be uncut - it will normally be cut by the factory to fit the frame. A ruler will tell you.

Sorry just meant that I hadn't cut it since purchase - will get the ruler out...
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    If they've got different headsets (and presuming they are both tapered) then I would reckon it would make sense to swap the crown race over, quite a simple job to do really. If fact, even if they have the same headset then it might make sense to swap the crown races over so the bearings are running on the same crown race they've always used?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • timbo_tim
    Mmm wont that require some special tools - or a little bit more than just basic bike knowledge? You are probably right, but I am not sure my abilities are up to it!
  • For the difference between a 15mm and a 9mm axle I doubt I would bother with swapping them over
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141
    timbo_tim wrote:
    Mmm wont that require some special tools - or a little bit more than just basic bike knowledge? You are probably right, but I am not sure my abilities are up to it!
    Technically a crown race removal tool http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Park-Tool-CRP2- ... _64334.htm and an installation tool http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do? ... 38&p=22467 but you can usually manage with a chisel, screwdriver, hammer and piece of scaffold tube.
  • timbo_tim
    For the difference between a 15mm and a 9mm axle I doubt I would bother with swapping them over

Agreed, although I just bought a 15mm hub front wheel and thought a fork swap would be easier / preferable to buying something like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-conversion-kit-15mm-to-qr/rp-prod80192?utm_source=awin&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=Skimlinks&awc=2698_1493118979_5f30d9df914942eb514f0e379a35ebb4. On reflection, I think £15 and no hassle is probably the way forward!

Thanks for all the help...
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I'm a mechanical numpty and I've managed to swap crown races with a screwdriver and a piece of plastic pipe. It's not hard, and on the forks I've seen once you get the crown race levered up a small amount on either side they pop off very easily.

But you may be right - possibly not worth the effort for the small gains!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Never needed a tube to fit a crown race, just tap it down with hammer and screwdriver working round it and tapping down progressively.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.