Hybrid Bikes for Wife and Sister

taha7
taha7 Posts: 29
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

I really hope this is the right place to post this.

I am currently looking for a hybrid bicycle for my wife and sister. Their budget is extremely limited at the moment - I can potentially do up to £250 for both combined (which is already pushing it for me). I'd like to add that I'm a complete beginner to cycling and am not too aware of the market and types of bikes etc.

They will mainly be riding it on roads and beginner mountains trails as well. I've tried looking at the used market but I'm someone who would easily miss something potentially catastrophic with a used bicycle when buying.

Really appreciate any suggestions/guidance with this!

Thanks

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    taha7 wrote:
    Hi All,

I really hope this is the right place to post this.

I am currently looking for a hybrid bicycle for my wife and sister. Their budget is extremely limited at the moment - I can potentially do up to £250 for both combined (which is already pushing it for me). I'd like to add that I'm a complete beginner to cycling and am not too aware of the market and types of bikes etc.

They will mainly be riding it on roads and beginner mountains trails as well. I've tried looking at the used market but I'm someone who would easily miss something potentially catastrophic with a used bicycle when buying.

Really appreciate any suggestions/guidance with this!

Thanks

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-3 ... 84494.html

Don't look too bad for the price, and Decathlon have repair and servicing if you do have problems.
  • taha7
    That's a good option however is that considered to be slightly on the heavier side?
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Look second hand at that price. A Giant escape is a good option (amongst others). Hybrids don't have much 'desire' value.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    taha7 wrote:
    That's a good option however is that considered to be slightly on the heavier side?

Not sure you can worry too much about weight with a budget of £250 for two bikes!
  • taha7
    @alan sherman

I've tried to look around for used but nothing half-decent comes up unfortunately.

@MrB123

That's a fair point. If I can't find anything soon then I might take the plunge and go for those.