Stuck thru axle

bennett_346
bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
edited April 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a bike with x-fus on metric forks on it, they have a thru axle which pushes through then screws into place with an Allen key. I've had it out a couple of times before and it was put back in greased.

Now when I unscrew it, it does three or four turns and just pushes the fork leg away on the threaded side then clicks as it catches the thread again.

I've had wd40 all over the hub and axle, tried pouring boiling kettle over it, sticking a threaded bar down the middle and wacking with a hammer. Nothing has budged it.

Any ideas??

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Forget Water Dispersant 40 or hot water, use the right tools, household ammonia cleaner dissolves almunium oxide if there is any in there, but I'd try bracing the left leg it seems stuck in and knocking the axle out, if you don't brace the left leg it will just bend and dissipate the shock effect.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bennett_346
    Thank you. The issue is it is still on the last two threads of the right leg so I can't use any force to free it or it'll take the heads with it. I'll give the ammonia a go although this is sounding a bit breaking bad like.
  • The Rookie
    It clicking suggests it's unscrewed from the right side, it's as the two thread ends pass over each other!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bennett_346
    Well it came out with a socket placed onto the end of the axle and some heavy encouragement.

In future, what should I be greasing it with? Copaslip? Lithium? I'd put regular grease it first time but that appears to have turned into a hard paste and cemented the axle in place.
  • The Rookie
    Lithium grease is dreadful for gumming up.

I'd use a 'red rubber' waterproof grease, it doesn't go gummy and being waterproof (not prone to being washed away) is better able to resist water ingress.

With some thought I'd expect the bigger issue was the hub/bearings (steel to aluminium) sticking to the axle rather than axle sticking in the fork?