Aluminum 7075 frame, dented seat post. Safe or not?

toki
toki Posts: 6
edited April 2017 in Road general
Hi all,
I "bought" this frame used without having seed this ugly dent (online buy).
Luckily it was very cheap. Dent is just above the place on the tube where the FD clamp goes. I'm adding photos.
What do you think, ride it or scrap it?

318784d1492803889-aluminum-7075-frame-dented-seat-post-safe-scrap-dsc_0027.jpg
318785d1492803896-aluminum-7075-frame-dented-seat-post-safe-scrap-dsc_0029.jpg
318786d1492803904-aluminum-7075-frame-dented-seat-post-safe-scrap-dsc_0024.jpg

Seller offers option to return, but the frame is a beauty except for this dent and it's a 62cm seat tube, 59cm top tube (I'm 6'5 tall)..
It came with fork, stem, bar, cranks/BB, seat post and RD hanger, all for around 120$.

Comments

• AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I'm struggling to picture where it is but there are often 'dents' in the FD area for clearance but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will confirm either way.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    I understood that the seat post is the "mobile" part that goes into the seat tube - what you have is a dented seat tube.

As to the effect - I don't know, but I have seen apparent dents in a similar location that were actually designed in from the start by the manufacturer.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd ride it. I cant see that being an issue. Hope you got money off though ?
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    Ride that.

I have aluminium frames with much more ugly bishing and boshing and general dentoonery much closer to key areas.
  • toki
    toki Posts: 6
    Thank You,

I'll go on then and build it. I'll try some steep hills in the beginning to strain it without the danger of too high speed, and check the area for any changes.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yeah, wouldn't bother me too much. As you say, just keep an eye on it every now and then until you get bored of it.