Does adipose tissue have the same negative effect as fast twitch muscles?

Blond
Blond Posts: 36
edited April 2017 in Road general
Disregarding the fact that fast twitch helps anaerobic endurance as you don't see non professional cyclists flat out do a 10s sprint on the road.

Thanks

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Blond wrote:
    Disregarding the fact that fast twitch helps anaerobic endurance as you don't see non professional cyclists flat out do a 10s sprint on the road.

Thanks

Eh?

More trolling?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Blond
    Blond wrote:

Thanks

Eh?

More trolling?
    No trolling. What are the neuromuscular effects of gaining 5 lbs of fat as opposed to 5 lbs of fast twitch muscles for aerobic heavy sports such as road cycling?
  • meanredspider
    Blond wrote:
    Blond wrote:

Thanks

Eh?

More trolling?
    No trolling. What are the neuromuscular effects of gaining 5 lbs of fat as opposed to 5 lbs of fast twitch muscles for aerobic heavy sports such as road cycling?

Who cares?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Only one way to find out...
  • Blond
    Blond wrote:
    Blond wrote:

Thanks

Eh?

More trolling?

Who cares?
    I ask as cycling is all about your VO2 max, hence how much ml of oxygen per kg of body weight every minute can you pump to your muscles. Obviously fast twitch muscles is very non-aerobic so doesn't use oxygen (basically dead weight), I was wondering if it's detrimental effects on cycling is more than gaining fact.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,691
    The irony is that Stanley Unwin used nonsense words, but made more sense...
  • hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    Some very basic errors in your assumptions there:

Do amateurs never do sprints? Who are you kidding

Cycling is only about VO2max. Really?

VO2max is about how much oxygen is pumped. Cause and effect?

Fast twitch muscles don't use oxygen. Really?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    I'm guessing he's put on 5kg. Must have hit puberty or something like that.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    likewise just because fast twitch are not primarily used in endurance, the body can and does recruit them when the slow twitch get fatigued

so fast twitch are never dead weight in the same way your gut is .... yes they use up oxygen, but they will be used when you cycle as you get fatigued or if you get out the saddle to get up a hill, or accelerate out of a side turning on to a main road and want a burst of speed, or change front ring and think "ah crap, wrong gear"
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Surely adipose is just fat. No muscle... So no effect other than additional weight, a brake on performance other than for downhill.

Muscle (slow or fast twitch) is active. Whilst one type may be better than the other in different circumstances, it is at least active tissue and can contribute to the effort.

Which is best for guarding bridges is a matter for research by the interested reader.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Weren't they a baddie in Dr Who ?
  • meanredspider
    I'm guessing he's put on 5kg. Must have hit senility or something like that.

FTFY.

If it's not a trolling post (like his speed post) then it makes a great impression of one.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684

Hey, he's over 285 pounds mun!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4GM9VVQNCM
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498

Hey, he's over 285 pounds mun!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4GM9VVQNCM
    He's not very aero.