Harry Styles

crispybug2
crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
edited April 2017 in The cake stop
It's been a week or so since the One Direction guy released his debut single, it's at number one now, and no-one on the forum has mentioned it at all, so I'll put my head above the parapet*

I've heard a few times now and you know what? It's not bad.......... Actually, f*ck it!! It's pretty good!

I'm really surprised by the song, the Bowie influence is very evident, mostly because it's light years away from the overproduced pap put out by 1D, it's a brave move and he deserves credit. Give it a listen peeps, you may be pleasantly surprised.

* That is as much as it can be called putting my head above the parapet whilst hiding behind a forum pseudonym!!!

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    are you a teenage girl?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    crispybug2 wrote:
    It's been a week or so since the One Direction guy released his debut single, it's at number one now, and no-one on the forum has mentioned it at all, so I'll put my head above the parapet*

I've heard a few times now and you know what? It's not bad.......... Actually, f*ck it!! It's pretty good!

I'm really surprised by the song, the Bowie influence is very evident, mostly because it's light years away from the overproduced pap put out by 1D, it's a brave move and he deserves credit. Give it a listen peeps, you may be pleasantly surprised.

* That is as much as it can be called putting my head above the parapet whilst hiding behind a forum pseudonym!!!

I can help here... It is sh1t drivel, which he probably had nothing to do with writing. If he did however, so what, it's still forgettable drivel.

Bowie? :)

He doesn't deserve much credit. Ok he can sing, but absolutely loads of people can.

Saying that, 99% of music is complete crap, so he's in good company!
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    mfin wrote:
    crispybug2 wrote:

I can help here... It is sh1t drivel, which he probably had nothing to do with writing. If he did however, so what, it's still forgettable drivel.

He doesn't deserve much credit. Ok he can sing, but absolutely loads of people can.

You mean 99% of 'pop'/chart music is crap.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    crispybug2 wrote:

Your missing the point. is his hair still well lush?
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I dunno, tights, knickers, harry styles .... this is what happens when you squash your balls on a saddle for hours at a time ?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,685
    It's ABS (A Bit Sh1t), in my expert opinion. Highly forgettable (just 3 chords over and over again), and absolutely nothing original.

He can't really sing very well, uses the dreaded vocal fry, and wraps his voice up in reverb, guitars, and generallised stadium rock noises. I'm assuming the words don't mean anything, though I can't make most of them out.

I hear much better singing and songs from young musicians still at school/college.

Would like to have found something positive to say, but can't.
  • Would rather listen to a creaking bottom bracket all day.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    No.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Not heard it but I can live with that! Presumably lot of 14 year old girls will like it though. As for Bowie, I guess he had his 'moments' but IMHO that last album was complete and utter sh1te and a classic case of the Emperors new clothes.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • mfin
    Mr Goo wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    crispybug2 wrote:

No, I mean 99% of all music is complete crap, well, way more actually.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,482
    mfin wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    crispybug2 wrote:

No, I mean 99% of all music is complete crap, well, way more actually.
    No doubt your own music collection is made up exclusively from that 0.01%.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mfin
    I think you're missing the point, of all the music out there, which is an incredibly and inconceivably vast amount, of course the vast majority is complete crap. A tiny tiny percentage is still a lot of music.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    He was on Graham Norton last night..... Mrs Goo / Miss Goo put it on as Friday night late TV viewing is as barren as a Martian landscape.
    I can confirm hand on heart that it is actually ..... 5h1t.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    mfin wrote:
    I think you're missing the point, of all the music out there, which is an incredibly and inconceivably vast amount, of course the vast majority is complete crap. A tiny tiny percentage is still a lot of music.

It's not crap though, because someone likes it. There is no such thing as crap music, just "different" music ...... all you are saying is that you don't like 99% of the music written ..... I think that's more an indication if your personality than the world of music
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    It's OK. I've heard worse, I've heard far better. It's better than any of the stuff his previous 'band' churned out. He's got a reasonable voice but ultimately that's all it is - image and an OKish voice. I've heard people compare it to Bowie and some legendary bands which it definitely isn't but it this day and age there always has to be some hyperbole. It's a middle of the road, forgettable pop song that's unlikely to be on anyone's list of greatest ever songs in a year.
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    Would rather listen to a creaking bottom bracket all day.

Well done that man! :lol::lol::lol:
  • Garry H
    It's cr@p, without any doubt.
  • briantrumpet
    fat daddy wrote:
    It's not crap though, because someone likes it.
    Depends how you define 'cr@p' though - it's derivative, repetitive, dull, saved only by production and marketing. Just because something sells doesn't mean it's good (i.e., not cr@p). People bought Austin Allegros, for example...
  • Garry H
    fat daddy wrote:
    Depends how you define 'cr@p' though - it's derivative, repetitive, dull, saved only by production and marketing. Just because something sells doesn't mean it's good (i.e., not cr@p). People bought Austin Allegros, for example...

My dad bought one. It had a square steering wheel. It was cr@p.
  • briantrumpet
    Garry H wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

I still laugh at the square steering wheel outcome - I wonder why the concept of a round wheel troubled the British Leyland designers to the extent that they felt they had to turn it into a square...
  • Garry H
    Garry H wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

I still laugh at the square steering wheel outcome - I wonder why the concept of a round wheel troubled the British Leyland designers to the extent that they felt they had to turn it into a square...

Takes up less storage space :wink:
  • briantrumpet
    Garry H wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

Good point - so I wonder why they didn't extend that thinking to the, er, wheel wheels? Seems logical...
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    RallyBiker wrote:
    Would rather listen to a creaking bottom bracket all day.

Well done that man! :lol::lol::lol:

I would sooner listen to my creaking bottom than that tripe,was unfortunate to see part of it on Graham Norton,just another overhyped puppet that has his music given to him
  • Garry H

Good point - so I wonder why they didn't extend that thinking to the, er, wheel wheels? Seems logical...[/quote]

It drove like it had square wheels!
  • Garry H
    Good point - so I wonder why they didn't extend that thinking to the, er, wheel wheels? Seems logical...
    It drove like it had square wheels!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The only time I've heard the song was on Graham Norton on Friday. I liked it; big production, confident vocals, good backing that builds through the song and for good measure an easy on the eye drummer & keyboardist. What clinched it for me was the GN director's shooting, all swooping cameras and a very 70s lighting arrangement, a mix of the Bonemiam Rhapspody* video and Supersonic (with Mike Mansfield, if anyone recalls that) but in extremely good HD.

Good song, good production, well presented. Suits me. Doubt if I'd buy it though.

Allegro steering wheels then. Leyland wanted to show that this car was different and pioneering, and had come up with some research that proved what they wanted it to prove, that a non-circular steering wheel was easier to drive with. IIRC it didn't last beyond the earlier versions anyway.

* in-joke. Hi Seppo. :)
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Inoffensive but not special enough to tempt me away from my usual 'sort of thing' to say I actually like it. Could be a lot worse
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    CiB wrote:
    The only time I've heard the song was on Graham Norton on Friday. I liked it; big production, confident vocals, good backing that builds through the song and for good measure an easy on the eye drummer & keyboardist. What clinched it for me was the GN director's shooting, all swooping cameras and a very 70s lighting arrangement, a mix of the Bonemiam Rhapspody* video and Supersonic (with Mike Mansfield, if anyone recalls that) but in extremely good HD.

Good song, good production, well presented. Suits me. Doubt if I'd buy it though.

Allegro steering wheels then. Leyland wanted to show that this car was different and pioneering, and had come up with some research that proved what they wanted it to prove, that a non-circular steering wheel was easier to drive with. IIRC it didn't last beyond the earlier versions anyway.

* in-joke. Hi Seppo. :)

You didn't get the memo. It's a song by an ex-X Factor winning boy band member and therefore you have to say it's the worst thing you've ever heard no matter whether you like it or not. You'll never be cool!
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Pross wrote:

You didn't get the memo. It's a song by an ex-X Factor winning boy band member and therefore you have to say it's the worst thing you've ever heard no matter whether you like it or not. You'll never be cool!

Would you really want to be cool in the music business? There's no longevity in being cool, only being a quality artist. I mean ABBA were never cool in their heyday but it didn't stop the likes of The Sex Pistols from ripping off the guitar riff in S.O.S. for Pretty Vacant and Elvis Costello ripping off Dancing Queen almost wholesale for Oliver's Army!!