Colnago C-40 - Fork choice?

heavymental
heavymental Posts: 2,076
edited November 2018 in Vintage bikes forum
I've just acquired a Colnago C-40 from these pages. It's a 1997 model and the original fork has been replaced with an Easton EC90 SLX. I've not read great reviews of the fork and wondered if anyone had an idea of a replacement or a suggested fork that would go with the frame (performance wise). I'm happy to get a 3rd party fork sprayed to match but want something that is going to feel good with the frame. Any suggestions?

Edited... just noticed its the SL not the SLX. The SL seems to be a better fork but interested in opinions for this particular frame.

Comments

• I had the precisia steel forks in mine and swapped them for some ITM carbon power forks from Deeside Cycles but that was a good 15 years ago. I think you might struggle for much choice with the 1" steerer now.
  • heavymental
    Thanks Paul, see edit above...

Yes think options are limited so might look out for an original.
  • heavymental
    Actually turns out there are a few new 1" carbon forks on the market now. Tifosi and Colombus do models to name but two.
  • I saw the Tifosi ones, the only straight ones I could find were Colnago at £350. I sold my steel ones on eBay for £30, no one seemed to want steel threaded at that time!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,320
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pinno wrote:

Both of those are 1 1/8" to suit a C50, being a C-40 a 1" fork is needed.

Not many straight forks around to suit. One option is a Wound Up (https://woundupcomposites.com/) but they're fairly expensive.

If you don't mind a curved fork, the Columbus Minimal would be a decent option and comes in a 1" version.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Prescia steel or maybe Time carbon would have been original - Star came along later
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Columbus minumal serve me well. I dont notice any handling issues compared to modern forks. The steerer cant cope with alot stack though. I cracked one have had to use no spacers now which turns out to be better.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • heavymental
    Suddenly occurred to me that I have a Mizuno carbon fork on my single speed runaround. Not sure what it is but Mizuno forks seem to be well regarded. Going to keep an eye out for a Star fork but the mizuno is the choice for now as it has a longer steerer than the Easton.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I have a set of 531 forks from my handbuilt 80s going spare i convert​ed to cheap heavy alu carbon for looks with my modern ish upgrade, i have two quill stems to go with it as well, its been cut short so only a low stack headset worked which was a shame as i bought a campag record, anyway if you're stuck ping me on PM they're doing nothing in my parts box
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pinno
    There's something deeply sacrilegious about that suggestion.
  • heavymental
    Thanks itboffin... going to stick with colnago or carbon... and an aheadset set up I think. Thanks anyway.
  • pinno
    I have a Ritchey on my C40. It's been a fine headset.
  • itboffin
    Pinno wrote:
    There's something deeply sacrilegious about that suggestion.

Yeah if you saw what it looked like before and after :roll:

I did a bad :oops:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
  • pinno
    @ITB: bikes are 'consumables. Well, at least that's what I tell the OH.

I would really like some pics of this C40 from the OP.
    I can't date mine. I think it's '97 too but can't be sure. I have a collection of C40 pics picked up from the net as I am compiling a catalogue of colour schemes in anticipation of a re-spray (when I finally get around to it).
    There used to be a list of all the C40 colour schemes on the Colnago site but that's long gone. if anyone has an ideas what colour scheme mine is, i'd appreciate it.

bb0462c542b083c575e38c95c2a36bb3.jpg
  • itboffin
    after
    https://goo.gl/photos/5x599MHE1vYXLGTGA

i did change the shifter as well to match, full sram rival 10 speed
  • pinno
    itboffin wrote:

...and after?

That really needs a pair of handbuilts on a pair of Chorus/Record hubs. Like:

s-l400.jpg

Is that your daughter(s?) in the back ground saying "Wth is Daddy up to now?.
  • pinno
    itboffin wrote:
    after

You are Satan.
  • heavymental
    will sort some pics. Should be built up by the end of next week.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    [quote="Pinno"
    ...and after?

That really needs a pair of handbuilts on a pair of Chorus/Record hubs. Like:

s-l400.jpg

Is that your daughter(s?) in the back ground saying "Wth is Daddy up to now?.[/quote]

You mean like these:?

DSC_0129_zpsskox5k2g.jpg

built up on Ambrosio Nemasis rims, and now proudly rolling my 80s Master along
  • pinno
    That's ^ the ticket. None of that retro bike covered in cheap modern sh1t.

Who built the wheels Term1te?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Pinno wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    after

You are Satan.

I think it looks alright.

Nothing worse than a build which is part old/part new - at least he's gone the whole hog.
  • pinno
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    after

You are Satan.

I think it looks alright.

You're just saying that to annoy me :roll:
  • itboffin
    Satan is a pussy and rides shimaNO
  • pinno
    itboffin wrote:
    Satan is a pussy and rides shimaNO

Fair enough.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Pinno wrote:
    That's ^ the ticket. None of that retro bike covered in cheap modern sh1t.

Who built the wheels Term1te?

I did. Ambrosio Nemesis rims on Campagnolo Croce D'Aune hubs. The hubs are from the 80s and were hardly used, a bit of TLC and they could have been brand new, one of my better ebay finds. They were meant to be three cross front and back, but I must have put the wrong numbers in the DT Swiss calculator, and they could only be built up two cross, with the rear drive side three cross.

Here they are on the Master in what looks like an advert from the 80s.

DSC_16782_zpsyk4aqkzc.jpg
  • pinno
    32 hole I presume? Well done. I laced up my new MA40 rims on my old Chorus hubs which had MA2's on them eons ago. That's as far as I got. I got a wheel builder to finish it off.
    Pics really don't do certain bikes justice; they need to be seen in the flesh.
  • heavymental
    edited November 2018
    As promised, some pics, was waiting to get the steerer cut down (yes I know I need to lose another inch :roll: ). Job done now so here she is. I didn't have any luck with a Star fork but stuck to Ernesto's vision and got hold of a heavier Flash fork. I winced at the extra weight compared to my other options but I'm not too fussed about that these days. Also, this is a functional build for me being my #1 ride, I swapped everything over from my old bike so no respect for period parts and no slammed stem. Purchasing the frame was an attempt at having more comfort over my harsh riding Scott CR1. Nevertheless, it's a mix of Centaur and Record with Campag Eurus wheels so I've kept it pretty Italian apart from the cheapo Giant stem and the FSA bars. It feels good and looks great so I'm happy.

35863782aba92d11284010eac5955336795c659dcf13af6bbd2405602d4265a2077c1d5c.jpg

158827503802f1712d1f462bf121c153ee464b729d309ecb85986355981327114e5552c3.jpg

41816540306926bc721727ce469fefed1b329f6772446f61b85347446e9daabc93b3a6f9.jpg

81642077cc165d01bc622ec8b8d533ff860790c7ad910c1fecf92cd83f2336a8d9bd2123.jpg

3896701610cec8605c5b75834e24f70795f8b9219b55061f9315cb02529d82224143b22a.jpg
  • pinno
    (Bars and stem are frikkin 'orrible).

Now that I have that out of the way, it looks good. Rather similar to my C40 in terms of wheels and components but your paint work looks a lot better, Makes me want to bite the bullet and go get it resprayed.
    I love the ride quality of the C40. It's not like the flighty, crazily responsive Wilier but it's still great.
    If I was restricted to just N1, it would be the C40.
    You must be happy?