Giant Warranty Issue

fadsarmy
fadsarmy Posts: 12
edited April 2017 in Road general
Hi, I've been having a noise problem with a Giant Defy bike I purchased 18 months ago from a local Giant dealer. I took it back the next day after purchasing it and after a week of to and fro and several attempts at replacing things like bearings etc, they said they replaced the fork. At the time, I rode it once and thought the problem had gone. Since then it's been on the trainer. I took it out today and the noise is back, even worse. A fellow rider said it's the headset.

Would this sort of thing still be covered under warranty?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_ ... Policy.pdf

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    if it is the headset it'll probably cost about £20
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    fadsarmy wrote:
    Hi, I've been having a noise problem with a Giant Defy bike I purchased 18 months ago from a local Giant dealer. I took it back the next day after purchasing it and after a week of to and fro and several attempts at replacing things like bearings etc, they said they replaced the fork. At the time, I rode it once and thought the problem had gone. Since then it's been on the trainer. I took it out today and the noise is back, even worse. A fellow rider said it's the headset.

Would this sort of thing still be covered under warranty?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_ ... Policy.pdf

Try greasing the front skewer. Have seen this issue loads if not the headset.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I am disappointed.

I misunderstood the title of the thread..... It turns out it is a teeny-weeny warranty issue.

Actually..... not one at all. Grumbly head bearings or front skewer after a year and a half is the bicycle equivalent of taking a car back to the dealer when the ashtrays are full.

Having said that, I do not in any way condone smoking.

Advice to the OP..... 18 months is quite a short life for a head set, but they are cheap. And they can be greased and put back.
  • Could be that they did sort it, and that it's the salt from sweating while on the turbo that has caused the issue if it is headset bearings. If it is the headset then it's a cheap fix, and not a warranty issue as it's a consumable part - especially after 18 months.
  • fadsarmy
    Thanks for the reply guys. They replaced the headset eighteen months ago but that did not solve the noise so they replaced the fork. The noise is coming from the head tube like last time but last time replacing the headset did not solve the problem and I'm not sure replacing the fork did too so I don't know what the issue is. I'll see what they say.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Make sure your quick releases are on very tight.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Bike frame tubes are very good at resonating sounds - making it appear that noises are coming from areas where they are not.

I'm struggling to see how you could be getting a noise from the headset area that isn't easily diagnosed by leaning on the handlebars and turning them whilst stationary. And even if it is noise from the headset area - replacing the bearings and fork should've resolved that - if it hasn't then it probably isn't that?
  • fadsarmy
    There is no noise whilst turning but there is when I lean on the handlebars:

https://youtu.be/Yb26vdSeWpM
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Ok - you get a bit of clicking

looking at that video - it looks like you were leaning on the bars shifting your weight forward and back a bit - without the front brake on.
    On that assumption - I don't think it's the headset bearings - you're not really changing the load - if it was the bearings I'd expect that noise when you turn the bars side to side.

Thinking about what it could be - check the skewer tension - I doubt it as it's been on and off - but check it anyway.
    If you can - try a different front wheel - that would eliminate spoke tension issues with the front wheel.
    As I said - don't think it's the headset - anyway, the fork has been replaced and they've looked at the headset.
    Moving up - the stem connects to the top of the fork steerer - I guess that's correctly tensioned - and it's been off and on - always worth a check.
    and moving out - check the bolts are done up tightly on the stem to handlebar interface - my guess is that they are slightly loose.