Sizing Help

newleaf
newleaf Posts: 15
edited April 2017 in Road beginners
I have just got a new road bike, a Specialized Allez E5 Sport and i'm not quite sure it is the right size. I ordered the 56" frame size using the Evans online guide. Picked up bike this afternoon and it did feel a bit smaller than my current bike but I did my normal route, although started off a bit slow as i was not used to the gears but still shaved a minute of my best time on at 15 mile ride.

I measure

Height 180cm
arm span 178cm
Inside let 80cm

I seem to be in between sizes, i.e 56 and 58, based on my sizes what would others go with?

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,482
    It doesn't matter what others go with as it's down to personal preference

Any photos you have of yourself on the bike may help but it's down to moving one datum at a time and putting some miles on.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • newleaf
    Going to take for another test ride tomorrow as i think the saddle might have been a touch low.
  • You are a very similar build to me, if that 80cm inside leg is "cycling inseam" rather than "trouser inseam," as in short legs and long torso. I would be inclined to test the 58cm, for that extra 3.5cm of head tube, to reduce the saddle-bar drop because of my temperamental lower back.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • newleaf
    After another test run this morning and after adjusting the saddle I am really not happy with the bike. Did a 15 mile bike ride with a couple of cat 4 hills and the gears slipped going up the hills causing me major lower back pain, Bike is definately not for me, I just like the feel of it and not happy with the gears, although to be fair I think the gears was due to poor set up by Evans Cycles. Taken the bike back this afternoon and got a full refund. I am going to try and source a bike through my local bike store and get sized correctly and do a test ride before I commit next time, lesson learned. On a positive note I have all the fun of choosing a new bike all over again.
  • You might want to pop into a local Halfords and try a 55.5cm Boardman CX Team, ask them to let you test ride it on a turbo trainer in-store. For £720 including British Cycling discount, the bike spec is great, it fitted me well but I really struggled to adjust to Sram "double tap" gearing.

I doubt the sale price of £800 will last much longer, been like that for ~2 weeks.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo