Use of Muc Off for general maintenance

WillMedic
WillMedic Posts: 26
edited April 2017 in Commuting general
Hi all

Very much a commuting/daily bike user newbie so apologies if I sound dense as never really had to maintain a bike before! Was recommended use of Muc Off 94 as a lubricant. Used it liberally on my ancient bike just before changing the bike and found it tended to clog up the gear cogs with crap rather than making it easier to shift. Is the idea to use the PTFE lubricant to clump up the dirt, then clean it off, then use a thinner dry or wet lube after? If so is Fairy liquid and water suitable for the wiping off process, or does that just neutralise the Muc Off benefit?

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I like Muc-Off cleaner (the pink stuff in a trigger grip bottle) - for lubrication I will use oil on chain and grease on everything else. I don't spray lube except a bit on derailleurs and I use gt85 (similar to MO94) to cut grease in cleaning and for driving off water once I have washed
  • Well done for doing anything at all.

Muc off / GTwhatever ? WD likewise are all great for cleaning and degreasing, de/oiling etc.

Whatever works. I use Fairy for my chain, in a chain cleaning tool.

Whatever cleaning routine you use just follow it up with PROPER lubrication.

Bike grease, chain grease/ oil and cable lube.

Speak to your LBS and use what they advise.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Muc-off is not cheap and it only goes down the drain. Lots of products do the same job, washing-up liquid has worked for me for decades. I now brush the dry dirt off before washing with a sponge. The drivetrain and rims (or discs) are most important. Wet lubes will attract dirt but last longer than dry, especially when in the wet. I apply Green Oil sparingly with a toothbrush to the inside of the chain run then wipe the excess from the side plates.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Check out No Nonsense HEAVY DUTY DEGREASER 5LTR (88668) from Screwfix.

Currently £5.09 for 5 litres. I've been using it for a couple of years now, as good as Muc-off IMO.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716

Currently £5.09 for 5 litres. I've been using it for a couple of years now, as good as Muc-off IMO.

I wash my bike in the middle of the lawn - muc-off stuff has never damaged the grass etc. What's this stuff from Screwfix like - is it just a cheaper version or will it eat through my hands and burn my grass; so what's your experience with it?
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    imatfaal wrote:

I wash my bike in the middle of the lawn - muc-off stuff has never damaged the grass etc. What's this stuff from Screwfix like - is it just a cheaper version or will it eat through my hands and burn my grass; so what's your experience with it?

I have no idea, I have a hard standing area where I clean the bike, never go near the lawn.

It's water based, and I still have two hands.
  • WillMedic
    WillMedic Posts: 26
    Thanks for your advice guys, now I do understand how Muc Off works but also glad that the good old Fairy Liquid and sponge technique is still in use. I think I will probably keep it simple- dry wipe off, degrease with sponge and Fairy Liquid to avoid staining my garage/garden patio all black, and then use wet or dry lube depending on the season. Funnily enough the shifting is a touch better now as I think I overdid the dry lube earlier, and the bike needed to be ridden for a while to reduce the excess!