Creaking plastic/composite noise

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Last week the spring in my Campag Khamsin freehub snapped. In the lead up to this I had been getting a creaking noise that I first assumed to be from the carbon frame, but put down to the spring.

When the spring snapped I swapped over to some old/spare wheels and the noise disappeared - over a week of commuting and haven't heard a peep. Was hoping once I replaced the spring and went back to the Khamsin's the noise would be gone, but one mile in this morning it returned.

It isn't a constant noise, it comes and goes and it is a plasitcy noise - if that makes sense?!

The only differences between old wheels and Khamsin's are: Cassette, skewers, tyres and tubes.

The cassette is 105 so has plastic base (I think) for the last 4 or 5 sprockets and the spacers are plastic so this is my next point of call but any other ideas wouldn't go amiss.

Cheers

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Spokes creaking inside carbon wheels? Skewer?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dinyull
    Sorry, just reading back should clarify:

I replaced the spring in my Khamsin's last night and this morning was first ride back on them. So the creak is definitely related to these wheels.

The Khamsin's are entry level alu - bike frame is carbon.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Dinyull wrote:
    Sorry, just reading back should clarify:

I replaced the spring in my Khamsin's last night and this morning was first ride back on them. So the creak is definitely related to these wheels.

The Khamsin's are entry level alu - bike frame is carbon.

As suggested by Mathewfalle, I'd suspect the spoke/nipple/rim interface as a possible source of the creaking. Had a similar issue a month or so back with my handbuilts (Archetype/Miche/Sapim). Thought it was the rear hub/freehub and ordered some replacement bearings in anticipation.

After reading another thread on rear wheel creaking, I gave the nipple beds a spray of Teflon lubricant fluid. Hey presto - creaking has disappeared.

Atr lweast I now have some bearings in the parts drawer in readiness.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    All my 105 cassettes have the largest sprockets on an alloy carrier. Spacers are plastic though. Never had any of them creak. You sure the lockring was properly tightened?
  • dinyull
    Cassette has been off and on, still same noise. No play at all.