Non-alcoholic beer

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited June 2017 in The cake stop
So, as of the beginning of March I gave up alcohol. Not because I have a problem, I just don't seem to get on with it. At 32 a few beers can leave me with a 2 day hangover whilst a decent session leaves me in bed the next day.

Do enjoy a beer though so have been trying the non-alcoholic variants : Jupiler, Bavaria, San Miguel, Budvar and Franziskaner off the top of my head. Last 2 being particularly good - couldn't have guessed Budvar was a/f, whilst Franziskaner was a bit sweeter than normal but still very good.

Anyone else got recommendations to try?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I'm partial to a Beck's blue or a VB n/a if driving.

Then naturally get home and smash the grappa and smack while ordering free range hookers by the dozen to make up for lost time.

What annoys me is that over here n/a beer is as/more expensive than normal beer (even though they are trying t reduce drink driving and all the other lies associated with ale) - when I was stranded in the pit of despair and fetid miasma that is Australia n/a beer was half the price.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    To echo the above, Becks blue is alright.

It's fairly bland, but so is Becks....

Either way, I bought a case in a few months back and would happily drink one or two as the mood took me.

Might buy some more actually...
  • dinyull
    Ahhh, VB....that takes me back.
  • Matthewfalle
    We us to drink normal VB while smoking massive spliffs in the car park of the crib we shared with a couple of dodgy hookers and trying to blot out from our minds that we were stuck in Australia.

Aaah - car park drinking. Halcyonic days they were.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    I really like the Cobra non alcy. Prefer it to the Bavaria and Becks which are the other ones they do in Sainsbury's.

Where do you get the Budvar?
  • dinyull
    I really like the Cobra non alcy. Prefer it to the Bavaria and Becks which are the other ones they do in Sainsbury's.

Where do you get the Budvar?

I've tried the Cobra too, now you mention it.

Budvar was in a bar in town, but shall be on the lookout.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Dinyull wrote:
    So, as of the beginning of March I gave up alcohol. Not because I have a problem, I just don't seem to get on with it. At 32 a few beers can leave me with a 2 day hangover whilst a decent session leaves me in bed the next day.

Do enjoy a beer though so have been trying the non-alcoholic variants : Jupiler, Bavaria, San Miguel, Budvar and Franziskaner off the top of my head. Last 2 being particularly good - couldn't have guessed Budvar was a/f, whilst Franziskaner was a bit sweeter than normal but still very good.

I'm also off the booze for a bit. Not sure if I'll go back - a couple got on the bus the other day and despite looking otherwise normal, they both stank of alcohol. They no doubt had been for a nice, Sunday lunch drink... but I was repulsed.

Anyway. Are all these you list genuinely non-alcoholic? And by that, I would suggest no more than 0.05% (like you might find a piece of fermenting fruit).

St Peter's Without is 0.05% max. As is Becks Blue and the Bavaria offering.

I ordered a non-alcoholic Heineken in Stockholm... it tasted like p1ss and was 0.5% (which I do not consider to be non-alcoholic).
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Quick question on the subject of non alcoholic beer, I was talking to someone on the subject of training and he said he and his mates drink a non alcoholic beer prior to a ride for an energy boost, anybody else heard of this?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Why bother at all if you've made the choice to not drink booze, have a diet coke or tonic water
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Matthewfalle
    itboffin wrote:
    Why bother at all if you've made the choice to not drink booze, have a diet coke or tonic water

Because sometimes it's nice to have a cold beer - some people like the taste and don't just drink it to get smashed and make ugly women look attractive.

Beer - a winner for ugly women for decades, because at the end of the day you can't have sex with personality.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Erdinger do a lovely non alcoholic beer. They often sponsor events and it goes down really well after a race.
  • giampi
    giampi Posts: 5
    Excellent one, if you can get your hands on it. Do remember to put all of it in a glass as the contained yeast does have an important contribution to the taste of the beer.

https://schneider-weisse.de/en/node/14
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Fenix wrote:
    Erdinger do a lovely non alcoholic beer. They often sponsor events and it goes down really well after a race.

+1

It's the recovery drink of champions
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    vimfuego wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

+1

It's the recovery drink of champions

+2 was just going to add that as my choice - all be it is is 0.5%, but it has vitamins and all sorts, so is pretty much a recovery beer - what's not to like?!

£1.20 a bottle in the right places, and my beer of choice if I am riding the next day, and sometimes even if I am not.

Usually have a dozen bottles in stock at home - just waiting for the inevitable price hike that cannot be too far away :?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dinyull
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:

I'm also off the booze for a bit. Not sure if I'll go back - a couple got on the bus the other day and despite looking otherwise normal, they both stank of alcohol. They no doubt had been for a nice, Sunday lunch drink... but I was repulsed.

Anyway. Are all these you list genuinely non-alcoholic? And by that, I would suggest no more than 0.05% (like you might find a piece of fermenting fruit).

St Peter's Without is 0.05% max. As is Becks Blue and the Bavaria offering.

I ordered a non-alcoholic Heineken in Stockholm... it tasted like p1ss and was 0.5% (which I do not consider to be non-alcoholic).

Think some (most) of those I listed are 0.5%.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Daniel B wrote:

£1.20 a bottle in the right places, and my beer of choice if I am riding the next day, and sometimes even if I am not.

Usually have a dozen bottles in stock at home - just waiting for the inevitable price hike that cannot be too far away :?

Oh you'll have to reveal your sources now £1.20 is a bargain !
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    itboffin wrote:

I prefer to drink something I like the taste of.
  • daniel_b
    Fenix wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Oh you'll have to reveal your sources now £1.20 is a bargain !

Sainsbury's matey :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    Brewdog do an excellent one - the aptly named Nanny State, although it's another that's 0.5% rather than 'alcohol free' in the strictest sense. It's an IPA rather than a lager though. Co-op and Waitrose stock it.

Another +1 for the Erdinger.
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • andyb78 wrote:
    Brewdog do an excellent one - the aptly named Nanny State, although it's another that's 0.5% rather than 'alcohol free' in the strictest sense.

+1 for Nanny State. Got a couple line up for tonight, as it happens!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    Fenix wrote:

Yeah, they give it as a post-race drink at Manchester Marathon. Too fizzy in that situation for me though.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Because sometimes it's nice to have a cold beer - some people like the taste and don't just drink it to get smashed and make ugly women look attractive.

Beer - a winner for ugly women for decades, because at the end of the day you can't have sex with personality.

ah but you've hit the nail on the head, beer tastes good because of the alcohol the getting smashed as you say part is or should be a side effect. I love a well crafted ale and am fortunate enough to live in between three independent small breweries, my step dad when I was growing up became a master of wine as part of his job, so drinking from the start for me was never about getting drunk.

As i said drink for the taste, alcohol free beer is horrible but if you must try go ahead, i'd recommend brew dogs nanny state, its as close to real craft beer as i've found.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    Will give the Brewdog a try - Sainsbury's seem to have them for £1.25 a bottle.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    no good for you matey comes in a blue / cyan can ;-)
  • daniel_b
    I can overlook such faux pas when it comes to drinks :lol:

And at least there is no red in it.

I'm hoping I don't need the mask, but the helmets not bad, almost British racing green. if you squint a bit, and p1ss about with the colour settings on your screen.

original_nanny.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

ah but you've hit the nail on the head, beer tastes good because of the alcohol the getting smashed as you say part is or should be a side effect. I love a well crafted ale and am fortunate enough to live in between three independent small breweries, my step dad when I was growing up became a master of wine as part of his job, so drinking from the start for me was never about getting drunk.

As i said drink for the taste, alcohol free beer is horrible but if you must try go ahead, i'd recommend brew dogs nanny state, its as close to real craft beer as i've found.

I've always found you can taste the lack of alcohol, never found a free beer that I've lost liked, I'm booze free since that wee knock few years back. Tend to go for soft drinks or coffee? Oddly I that is something I don't need the caffeine in, I don't get a hit from it, can't tell the difference between decaf and real, my sister bought me a pack few years back, including decaf which I didn't notice until checking the package a month or so later.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    itboffin wrote:

The lack of alcohol is definitely noticeable. The drink tastes thinner.

But, I'd rather have a Bavaria 0.0% than a Diet Coke. And the abstinence is good for the cycling physique...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Check out this website

https://www.alcoholfree.co.uk/

We've tried a few of the mixed cases, plenty of interesting continental beverages.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Found this thread interesting, low alcohol beer is not something I'd ever consider but will try a bottle of the Erdinger out of curiousity, would be daft to dismiss something without trying it. The thing is I really do enjoy the taste of alcohol, a modest whiskey collection attests to that, so I expect it won't be for me.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,228
    Ben6899 wrote:

The lack of alcohol is definitely noticeable. The drink tastes thinner.

Well yeah, why d'ya think boozy wine is called full bodied?