Have things changed that much?

Gobs
Gobs Posts: 296
edited April 2017 in Road beginners
I bought my partner a BTwin Triban 3 (the red one) at the weekend to try her at road biking. Granted it's the 51cm frame (with smaller 650 wheels) but it feels like a toy. I haven't ridden a road bike for 23 years, but I remember mine being far more substantial, with wider/heavier bars and larger tyres (23's on the Triban). I find the Triban very nervous steering, and hugely uncomfortable in comparison to what I remember. It was a basic bike back then but from memory was far more substantial to ride. Is this just the way things are now? I was contemplating buying a 54cm one for me but now I'm not so sure.

Comments

• milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Gobs wrote:
    I bought my partner a BTwin Triban 3 (the red one) at the weekend to try her at road biking. Granted it's the 51cm frame (with smaller 650 wheels) but it feels like a toy. I haven't ridden a road bike for 23 years, but I remember mine being far more substantial, with wider/heavier bars and larger tyres (23's on the Triban). I find the Triban very nervous steering, and hugely uncomfortable in comparison to what I remember. It was a basic bike back then but from memory was far more substantial to ride. Is this just the way things are now? I was contemplating buying a 54cm one for me but now I'm not so sure.

I'm a big fan of the Triban, I have a 520 ( alloy frame, CF forks), which I've upgraded to something more akin to a 540 over the 3 years I've had it,and a new 560 ( full CF frame and forks )You have to be aware of the specs in order to get the best out of the value of the bikes. The smaller framed bikes come with smaller bits ( generally speaking) smaller wheels shorter stems and narrower bars, the bigger sizes have longer stems bigger wheels and wider bars ( generally speaking). They achieve the value for money, by economies of scale, so there are some compromises, but if you look at the specs for each bike carefully, you can nearly always find a suitable compromise. The Tribans are also readily and easily upgradeable, so if something isn't exactly what you require, it's relatively easy to sort it, and still keep the value for money good.
  • Gobs
    Thanks. It was the overall feel on it to be honest. I felt like I'd just fall off, I didn't feel secure at all. I can't imagine jumping from the 51 to 54 will be that much of a huge difference even with the larger wheels though. Is there an industry "norm" for handlebar widths as such?
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Modern handlebars are actually wider than on my old road bikes.

& a bike being light is good.

I think you just need to get used to riding road bikes.

Also tyres used to be often 20c on road bikes so narrower than now...
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Gobs wrote:
    Thanks. It was the overall feel on it to be honest. I felt like I'd just fall off, I didn't feel secure at all. I can't imagine jumping from the 51 to 54 will be that much of a huge difference even with the larger wheels though. Is there an industry "norm" for handlebar widths as such?

Maybe you are just older and can realise the consequences of potentially falling off / crashing etc. It'll pass.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    Maybe the geometry is a little more aggressive for your liking?

Shop around, there are plenty of options available with less aggressive/twitchy feeling?
  • Gobs
    It definitely feels aggressive. I think higher, wider bars would alleviate most of it. I'll pop in to Decathlon and try a 54cm version and see if there's a marked difference in feel
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    How about a hybrid if you don't like drop bars?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.