Internal DI2 battery and flying

smcphee
smcphee Posts: 4
edited April 2017 in Road general
Does anyone have any *recent* experience of flying with a DI2 bike? Did you remove the battery?

Unfortunately my battery is within my Bottom Bracket which means removing the crankset first, which is a bit of a pain.

I ask this question from two different angles

1) the battery being allowed in the hold
2) prevention of gear changes whilst the bike is in transit

I have a Canyon Endurace.

Thanks!

Comments

• Lifes too short
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • In answer to Q1, as the battery is built in to the item that it powers it is allowed in the hold, Spare Lithium batteries have to be in cabin baggage except on those inbound route to the UK/USA currently subject to extra restrictions where they a forbidden in all baggage.

Q2. If you have the 5 way box under the stem then disconnect the battery here. I you have the 3 way box under the stem and the 4 way connector at the bottom bracket disconnect the cables at the FD & RD and the cable at the 3 way that connects to the 4 way.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    smcphee wrote:
    Does anyone have any *recent* experience of flying with a DI2 bike? Did you remove the battery?
    My son is in Mallorca (arrived today) battery is in his seat post, it was there last year when we went too - no issues, they X-ray the bike box so know it's there. He doesn't disconnect anything, but what Donkey says makes good sense to me. hth.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Flown many times with internal Di2, never done anything to it, never had any issues.
  • smcphee
    smcphee Posts: 4
    Thanks for the replies and advice- I am going to leave the battery where it is and look into disconnecting at the junction box.
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    Currently in Lanzarote. Di2 bike in the apartment kitchen. Nothing done to the battery for travel.
    Birmingham airport did take my co2 canisters though.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Same here. Flew twice to Mallorca last year. Left battery in the Seatpost. Disconnected the cable at the junction box to stop it shifting.

Off again next week.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Di2 battery and most consumer electronics use Lithium copolymer batteries, technically they should be hand carried rather than in hold but whether they check or not depends on how stringent security measures are - I had a stack of Energizer Lithiums removed from my bike bag in Finland - fortunately it was post-expedition. There is a ban on carrying lithium metal batteries on passenger aircraft as there have been some fires.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I've flown a few times with the Di2 bike and at no time have I been asked to remove the battery from the seatpost. I just disconnect the battery from the junction box to prevent switches being activated.
    Also for the CO2 canisters, I've put them in the bike box and they've been ok, so far...