Replace new budget fork with old but higher spec fork?

Uber_Pod
Uber_Pod Posts: 110
edited April 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
My bike came with a Rockshox XC28 fork.

The upgrade bug has hit and I'm now wondering if a better but older fork would actually be worth it.
Something like a Reba RL dual air sounds like a big step up (and a lot less weight), but it would be around 5-7 years old at a price I'd be willing to pay.
Apart from probably needing a service, does the age matter?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on the condition, no. If it's been looked after and there is no stanchion damage a service is easy enough.
    I'd take an old Reba, or even a Recon Air over an XC 28 any day.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    Just keep looking on ebay ect. for 2nd hand, all gold forks will have aluminium stanchions and will be lighter then Silver version, Recon or Reba will work good also look for SR Suntour Epicon/Epixon, just make sure stanchion have no wear, I'm sure you know but just check your steerer length.
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    ade555 wrote:
    I'm sure you know but just check your steerer length.

I'm looking into that part now.
    The best option seems to be take mine apart and measure everything.

I was hoping to get 'close enough' to work out what I need to buy without taking anything apart (which means I can use the bike in the mean time) and then figure out taking everything apart afterwards, if/when I get a new fork.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Easy to measure the steerer without taking it off the bike, from top of crown to underside of top cap and less a few mm.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.