Dream jobs

Matthewfalle
Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
edited April 2017 in The bottom bracket
Right

What's your dream job? None of this rubbish "bike fitter to playboy bunny" rubbish but achieveable stuff if you do/would have put the graft in.

Me: doing what I do but for NASA. I'd cream myself every morning if I did what I did for NASA.

ESA as a second best if they asked nicely.

Over to you.

SMF.
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    The sad answer, the job I have currently is awesome. It could be made better by promotions and such but realistically I wouldn't want to do much else. It's a good industry and the company I work for offer excellent pay and conditions compared the the competition with a lot of scope for growth/career development. I'm reasonably junior but it's a small company (10) and I feel I'm listened to more than my 'rank' would suggest. I see others in the company earning lots of money and it seems attainable so all is good. My dream job is probably this one with more autonomy

I could potentially have made money out of playing guitar, I don't regret it though as the years of living like a student with no regular pay would suck and I like blowing the cash from my real job on guitars for fun. It's still a dream though...

I think I have the pace for national level enduro mountain biking so I could put the graft in now to get free bikes or something but it's not really a dream job as I'd never quit this job for it.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    HaydenM wrote:
    The sad answer, the job I have currently is awesome.

+1

And the truth is I turned them down originally because I loved the job I had before. That said, I'm glad they persuaded me because this job is even better. I'm normally in by 7am because I like it so much. And they are being utterly brilliant whilst I deal with stuff at home. You learn to count your blessings and my current job is definitely one of them.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Alright show offs.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Alright show offs.

Yeah - though I think it's important to know when things are good in this life. And, TBH, the truth is my job itself seems mindblowingly dull but I get to work with some brilliant people in a brilliant atmosphere so I don't care what the work is.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Had I not discovered that I needed specs whilst at the selection centre I could possibly be a fast jet pilot now. I loved all the flying I did as a cadet and was my dream since childhood.
    Subsequently I've become a public service accountant which is tedious beyond belief. No chance of "Mach 2 with your hair on fire" here :(
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    ... they are being utterly brilliant whilst I deal with stuff at home. You learn to count your blessings
    This certainly counts for a huge amount. When I came back to work here they employed me whilst I was still having chemo and paid me for the times I was off sick because of it. The place I worked before wouldn't pay me whilst I was having chemo having promised they would. More recently I've been given other projects I could work from home and do over the last couple of winters so I could deal with sickly daughter. I've got to be in the office now as it's the busy time of year and I can't deal with customers from home, but I can't really argue with that. I had the option of leaving sales and working from home longer term, but there's only so much time a man can spend looking at huge XL spreadsheets. Whilst it is hugely frustrating at times on the whole it's pretty good. I really should have my manager's job of course, but I have less grief which is no bad thing.
    I've done what I do now but for top end supercars of the type Vtech would chat sh!t about. I didn't like it, half the people I had to dealing with were crooks and the company treated me badly. Wouldn't go back to that. I can misbehave around here with a 1970's level of political correctness, I'd probably get sacked if I had to work in the real world. It's only a 5-6 mile ride home which is nice, but I can extend it if I fancy.
    I'd do something else for this place, but I have little desire to move. More money would help of course, but there's a lot more to life than that.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I only work two days a week and I'm working one of them while looking at this thread. Ideally I would like to work no days a week.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    When the guy my current manager was assistant to hurt himself in an out of work accident the company paid him for the 6 months he was off, then the 8 months he was off with the subsequent brain tumour they found during scans for the first accident, then when he retired soon after they paid for him to go on holiday in India for 6 months. Now, I know he was a hugely valued employee but it says a lot about the company, they obviously wouldn't do the same for me now but they have been great whenever they can with letting me have time off for mountain bike injuries and things. I like it because they value their employees more than other places I have worked
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    yes this counts for a lot, when i broke my hip there was no hassle, the money kept on coming, i was even sent a huge box of favourite savoury snacks by one of the guys in belgium, on return they let me do it at my pace, and still support if i ask

having said that, best job was probably in the '80s in r&d and development engineering, these days it's less technical, more commercial and getting others to do what i'd once have done myself
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I would love a job in personnel.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    if you do/would have put the graft in.
    That bit rules out most of you lot for a start :wink:

Can't say I've got a dream job in mind but I actually quite like what I do and the outfit that I currently work for:-
    - Enough money not to have to worry about it
    - Enough time to do most of the stuff I want to do including posting crap on here
    - Being the boss of my little empire and being in control (although we all report to someone in the end)
    - Having good minions and a good boss
    - Potential to advance even at this stage in my career
    - Not working with complete 'merchant bankers'
    - Job security as good as it gets outside of the public sector and one that doesn't put you on the scrap heap for age reasons
    - Highly transferable skills across different sectors and geographically
    - Flexibility to work at home when needed and deal with ill parents etc
    - Intellectually challenging and plenty of variety
    - More Interesting than the stereotype (but may have a few image problems)
    - Potential to make a real difference to the company's financial performance and the warm feeling you get from stopping robbers nicking hard earned money :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Garry H
    Realistically?Wished i'd gone down the CA route. For the flexibility of being able to work anywhere. Kinda stuck to financial centres at the moment.

Or an astronaut.
  • Stevo_666
    Garry H wrote:
    Realistically?Wished i'd gone down the CA route. For the flexibility of being able to work anywhere. Kinda stuck to financial centres at the moment.
    So basically I've got your dream job? :)

Although I'm pretty much restricted to major financial centres as well, not that its a problem for me.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Garry H
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    So basically I've got your dream job? :)

Although I'm pretty much restricted to major financial centres as well, not that its a problem for me.

Not quite. The second bit about being stuck to financial centres is the more pertinent point.
  • Stevo_666
    Even though you live in the middle of nowhere by Southern standards?
  • Garry H
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Not really middle of nowhere. Bicycle ride away from the UK's second (?) biggest financial centre. I like London, but never liked working there. I like the Lakes me.
  • Stevo_666
    Garry H wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Not really middle of nowhere. Bicycle ride away from the UK's second (?) biggest financial centre. I like London, but never liked working there. I like the Lakes me.
    So all the benefits of having access to a big city but far enough away not to be able to see it or hear it? Sounds alright to me. I think you may be coming down with a dose of Cake Stop whinge-itis.
  • Garry H
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    So all the benefits of having access to a big city but far enough away not to be able to see it or hear it? Sounds alright to me. I think you may be coming down with a dose of Cake Stop whinge-itis.
    Ha ha! I think you might be right, now that you mention it. Kids today...
  • My dream job would be the navigator on the ferry that runs from Cowes to East Cowes on the IOW.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Stevo_666
    My dream job would be the navigator on the ferry that runs from Cowes to East Cowes on the IOW.
    It's good to see people still have ambition.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    No idea on what would be a dream job. I think as most of us have said, a bit more money an a better work life balance.
    Where I am now role wise is a bit of a dead end which is demoralising.

I'm still holding onto the dream of opening a cycle repair place someday, pipe dream likely both ends of said pipe are blocked but I'm trying to push it.
    Mean time just trying to get a job with a decent salary an work / social life balance.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    My dream job would be the navigator on the ferry that runs from Cowes to East Cowes on the IOW.
    It's not currently in service - so you'd have a bit of time on your hands right now ...

... and once it's in service (for the benefit of those not familiar with the Cowes chain ferry), navigation is largely down to avoiding the small and large craft coming past - not forgetting to stop before you drag the ferry up the street on the two chains that guide it from bank to bank ...
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I think I would really like being a postman ... if only it paid about 4 times the wage it does now !

get up early, run from house to house trying to beat your PBs of delivery in all weathers .. finish early enough to go pick kiddy up from school or get out for a ride.

oh and then there are the bored housewives opening their doors wearing nothing but saucy negligee

sounds perfect ...... up until you realise you only get £12k a year
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    It's not currently in service - so you'd have a bit of time on your hands right now ...

... and once it's in service (for the benefit of those not familiar with the Cowes chain ferry), navigation is largely down to avoiding the small and large craft coming past - not forgetting to stop before you drag the ferry up the street on the two chains that guide it from bank to bank ...
    Busted :D
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    All well and good, Stevo, but ambition will get you nowhere.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Erm, I thought we'd just established that it would get to BOTH banks of the Medina?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • alistaird
    alistaird Posts: 290
    Duplicate post...
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I have it and have created it myself. Supporting two guys in the community means I work thursday and friday only. Pay is not massive but is all I need. A huge amount of personal satisfaction and sense of achievement. And i get to do the things I like to do and get paid for it. Which is also the things they like to do. And they are both as random as me.

And after my recent accident and hip replacement they paid me sick pay at full rate and negotiated a phased return to work. And a letter today saying we have a pay rise.
  • To me, dream job is what you'd do if you could make plenty of money at it even if it pays junk and you don't have to worry about kids or spouse. Once you enter family status, you're back in reality.

So I'll give two answers, a silly one and a real one:

the silly: interactive sex book author
    the real one: one of those interactive sports hosts that plays the sport and reviews or uses the products on something like Golf Channel or GCN. Play golf, try new toys, ride bikes, visit races and expos, etc.... No pressure to compete. You do some of what you like, but not too much.

But that isn't possible with kids and the income/travel ratio I desire. I'm sure I make more than a Golf Network segment host or a GCN Show host.
  • Garry H
    Bus driver
    Ambulance Man
    Ticket Inspector