safe bike rack.

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Looking for a little help.
To try to mix and mix training and family commitments , I occasionally ride to where we are going to spend the day (like tomorrow to Scarborough) , However since we have bought another car I have been told I cannot put the bike in the car and will have to buy a rack of some sort.
I have looked at the Saris bone solo and it looks ok for transportation but , what about security given that the car will be parked in a public car park.
Could someone just saw the plastic fitting and of they go ?

Comments

• micrographia
    micrographia Posts: 77
    edited April 2017
    Basically yes. Saris sell a long locking cable that feeds through the rear towing point on your car, then loops around your frame and the Bones as a more secure option. I add a chain through wheels, frame and Bones to stop wheels going AWOL and still get nervous when the car is out of sight - if someone wants your bike and has tools to hand there is little you can do.

https://www.evanscycles.com/saris-8-foo ... e-EV189501

If going for a Bones (and they are excellent) spring for the 3 bike version if you can, it folds up small. One day you'll want to carry a couple of bikes and it's good to have the option. Get some foam blocks to stop handlebars and shifters scratching your paintwork, and velcro straps to immobilise front wheel and fork to frame as well.

https://www.evanscycles.com/saris-prote ... s-00131571
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    We have either a towball fitting rack or a back of the campervan rack - when leaving the car/van in a public place I try not to do so with the bikes on - but if we do, the bikes are locked up using the normal D-lock and cable - through the carrier - and if it's the towball one - then through a secure point on the car (towing eye usually). Technically someone could still take the bikes - if they could work out how they're locked up - but it'd be a major ballsache for them and easier to just bust the lock or move on somewhere else.

The sort of thief you're trying to deter will probably be the opportunistic one - as you're not normally parked there with a bike on the back - so it's less likely they'll come with all the right tools, so unless it's quick and easy to take they'll move on. However, having seen a video of someone forcably remove a bike from a locked roof rack and riding off I do think you have to make their life a bit harder... ;)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Who told you the bike can't go in the car ? There's no way I'm leaving a bike on a bike rack (even if it is locked) and then going off on my jolly way. Even if the bike doesn't get nicked I'd be worrying about it all the time.

Bike hidden in the car. Its the only way.
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    Thanks for the replies chaps.
    Must admit , still not happy about leaving the bike on the rack.
    I may try a compromise , travelling with the bike on the rack but storing the bike in the car while visiting/shopping etc.
    thanks again
    ILG
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    can you keep a wheel in the car and lock frame to rack? no bike thiefs bring spare wheels. (do they?)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Do this very often and the bike will almost certainly be stolen.

Maybe your compromise of hiding it in the car but travelling with it in the rack is the way to go - or buy a soft bike bag - put bike in the bag in the car.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • The key to successfully locking your bike into the hitch rack is how firmly you've attached the bike to the mount. For this process, you will need a basic lock and a longer lock to ensure balance. These straps will ensure that the bike is well installed and provide maximum safety for the rider. It will also prevent robbers from stealing your bike.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

The key to successfully locking your bike into the hitch rack is how firmly you've attached the bike to the mount. For this process, you will need a basic lock and a longer lock to ensure balance. These straps will ensure that the bike is well installed and provide maximum safety for the rider. It will also prevent robbers from stealing your bike.

You forgot to add your spam link...
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I lived in Bahrain for a year and simply kept my bike on a Saris Bones Solo for weeks on end. No chain or padlock. It sat in a car park under my apartment every night and on the street near work or the shops during the day.

Never had any doubt about it being stolen.

It's such a shame we have to think this way.