Question about gearing between two bikes?

Mojer
Mojer Posts: 3
edited April 2017 in MTB general
Will the ride/gearing of these two bikes be similar?
Hello,

I have a 17 year old Specialized Mountain Bike that needs to be replaced. I ride on pavement and light trails, and do not know much about how the gearing works with bikes. However, I do like how the gearing is set up on my current Specialized bike. The gearing on my current Specialized is:

22/32/42 with 8 speed 11x28 teeth

The current hybrid I am looking at is set up with:

26/36/48 with 9 speed 11x34

How similar should I expect the gearing to be with the new bike when compared to the gearing of my old Specialized? What can the new bike do that the old bike may not be able to do. Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Also depends on the wheel size of the hybrid.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Due to the hybrid having a larger rear gear (34T) you will have pretty much the same easy gear (high gear for steep climbs - 1.3 v 1.27) but will be able to go faster on the flats.

Basically the hybrid is an improvement on your old bike without any sacrifice :-)
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Mojer wrote:
    What can the new bike do that the old bike may not be able to do.
    Hopefully go faster.

But apart from that, nothing much! Or at least, "can't tell" unless you point out which model hybrid you're looking at.

It won't be making your tea or connecting to the internet for you though.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Mojer
    Mojer Posts: 3
    larkim wrote:
    Mojer wrote:
    What can the new bike do that the old bike may not be able to do.
    Hopefully go faster.

But apart from that, nothing much! Or at least, "can't tell" unless you point out which model hybrid you're looking at.

It won't be making your tea or connecting to the internet for you though.

Currently looking at a Giant Roam 2. Looking primarily for a fitness/recreational bike. I also have a newer Mountain bike I tried riding on the street, and I felt that I couldn't get low enough in the gears to to create enough resistance to make me feel as though I was getting a good workout.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So a 29er. You need to factor the different wheel size into your gearing calculations as well.

And you are talking bollocks about a 'workout'. Just head for a hill, sit in a high gear, and wait for your knees to explode. (Not 'low enough', whatever that actually is.)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    +1 for that. It's all about hills, unless you live somewhere with 15-20 mile uninterrupted flat roads where you can sit in the *highest" gear possible and just crunch yourself against the wind for 45mins-1hour.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mojer wrote:
    I couldn't get low enough in the gears to to create enough resistance to make me feel as though I was getting a good workout.
    You appear to be speaking a foreign language as that makes no sense. A lower gear makes pedaling easier but you travel slower, so lesser a workout.

Any geared bike you just pedal harder and faster and shift into higher gears until you can't go any faster, good workout.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.