Front derailieur cable routing on dual pull

vci380
vci380 Posts: 17
edited April 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Last year I bout an m781 XT front derailleur. My cable routes from the top but it said dual pull so it would be ok. I've left it in the cupboard till winter was done as I wanted to put all new running gear on when all the mud was done for the season. I've taken all my bits to the shop to be fitted but the cable routing comes out of the mount at the top of my seat tube but then, rather than following the tube down now goes in a diagonal line out to where it joins the derailleur nearly to where the crank goes past! Surely this cant be right? The cable could get bashed and in winter it will get full of mud and rubbish. How can this be an advancement?
http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... ll-my-arse
Because I cant add picks I've put this link in as this is someone with the same issue but people seem to think its ok, surely not. At this point I'm thinking about just finding a top pull only one that follows the seat tube down but they all seem to be this dual pull now and I do have this brand new xt one so it seems a waste. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds fine to me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There is only one way to attach the cable properly so it works, if it works its been done properly.

No amount of Shirleys will change that, nor any amount of ! or ? for that matter. :-)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • vci380
    20170408_071409_HDR_zpsrctual00.jpg

This is how it looks.
  • vci380
    20170407_182035_HDR_zpsakrfkxyt.jpg
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    That is correctly fitted. Granted it doesn't look great, solution would be to be a different mech with a pulley, or you can buy pulleys on eBay so the cable goes straight down and you change to bottom pull.
    Or just use it and see how you get on.
  • vci380
    At least I have a washing line to dry my gloves on when we stop now.....