The Masters 2017

thestrand
thestrand Posts: 112
edited April 2017 in The cake stop
Anyone on here interested in the golf over the next few days?

With Dustin Johnson out due to injury and Spieth and McIlroy having very poor starts in the first round, it's potentially going to be quite open this year.

I've had a bit of a flutter on Fitzpatrick so he's definitely not going to win now.

(Yes I know it's Paris-Roubaix on Sunday, so it's obviously only the second most important sporting event of the weekend!)
Felt F95 2012

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I will be watching as much as I am allowed. Mc Ilroy is sulking already so he needs a fresh attitude. I dont do betting ,if I was Rose or Jon Rham would get my money.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    The poor blokes had to put up with some wind today. Diddums.

McIllroy is 7 shots off already. He'll have to do a fantastic last 6 to get to at least evens.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Golf is right up there with F1 as a spectator sport.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Golf is right up there with F1 as a spectator sport.

I think you need to play or have played golf to appreciate watching it on telly.
    I love the US Masters and Augusta remains the only course I've ever wanted to play. Watching it on TV doesn't give you any idea how hilly the course is. Coupled with the present windy conditions and the ever lightning quick greens, sub par to par is a great 1st round to lay down.

Justin Rose to win for me. Or failing that I'd quite like to see Rickie Fowler get his maiden major.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    ...never mind the green dye and the over preening? It's not a proper golf course. It's a faked up, hyped course that;s suffered too much plastic surgery.
    Despite that, I quite like the Masters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mr_goo
    Pinno wrote:
    ...never mind the green dye and the over preening? It's not a proper golf course. It's a faked up, hyped course that;s suffered too much plastic surgery.
    You forgot the blue dye in the water hazards.
    I also think it's a very special tournament for the fact that there are no grandstands at all.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    You forgot the blue dye in the water hazards.
    I also think it's a very special tournament for the fact that there are no grandstands at all.
    Did you know there are heating pipes underground at the 12th green, because that area gets little sun, to ensure the grass and flowers get "proper" conditions for growing?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • It's the sporting event that signals the start of summer to me.

I really like that the event is above influence of the media and the players, and they maintain the tranditions of the event which are respected every year (e.g. no mobile phones, no running, etc)
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Prefer snooker myself.
  • mr_goo
    Fantastic win for Sergio Garcia. Well deserved and a very long time coming. His second shot to 15 was amazing and really swing the head to head with Rose.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    I would have liked Rose to win. I thought he did brilliantly to not shun Rio and win a gold.
    Still very pleased for Garcia he deserved a Major.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Making America great again.
    Oh! :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Has it finished then?