Got a question for Cycling Plus experts? Ask it here!

rob_spedding
rob_spedding Posts: 442
edited April 2017 in Amateur race
We're after your cycling questions - we want your queries on bike and gear buying, training, nutrition, injury, racing...basically anything about bikes and biking. You can either post your question here or email us with the subject Reader Rescue at cyclingplus@futurenet.com
Rob Spedding, Editor, Cycling Plus

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    What, exactly, is the difference between a goblin and a hobgoblin?

Who invented the skip?
  • Chrissylaa
    Chrissylaa Posts: 19
    A hobgoblin makes gears for a living.

Mary Poppins invented the skip....or was it that woman from the Sound of Music?
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    No, no, no - that's a hubgoblin you're thinking of. The hobgoblin makes stovetops.
  • rob_spedding
    rob_spedding Posts: 442
    Not sure about the hobgoblin and goblin question and our resident expert has had a spell cast upon him by a warlock so can't answer. As for the skip - Antoine Marrell.
    Rob Spedding, Editor, Cycling Plus
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    OK, serious question - or rather, a request.

I really like the looks at the pro bikes and their measurements, as obviously it's interesting to compare your setup to theirs, especially when you're the same build. But one crucial bit of information is never mentioned - shoe size and cleat position. I'd love to know where Cancellara stands (literally!) on the mid-foot cleat argument, for instance, and have a few pics showing the pedal technique of the rider in question.
  • frogrocket
    frogrocket Posts: 51
    I mainly ride long road rides that involve plenty of hills. I'm an ok climber and descender but struggle to maintain a good, constant and smooth rhythm on the flats, which let me down a bit on a sportive I did on Sunday.

Having had back problems earlier this year, I flipped my stem so that it rises up instead of sloping down (only about 5%) but I still struggle to spend long periods on the drops when riding into a headwind.

Any tips?

cheers,
    Alex

ps am doing core exercises to help protect my back, on advice from a physio, which seems to be working.
    About 50/50 MTB/Road love;

GT Timberline (2000)
    Lapierre Zesty 214 (2010)
    Cube Attempt (2010)
    Harry Hall single speed conversion (197/8?)
  • Go for a proper bike fit - particularly useful if you dont like the drops - you should like them after the fit
  • Hello there! I am new to forum but have used site for a while and subscribe to Cycling Plus but need a bit of help re some cyclocross brakes.

I own as part of my "Fleet" a Raleigh Airlite X cyclocross bike I have had for just over a year now. It gets used mainly for commuting but has also ventured offroad although no racing as yet, hopefully this winter! For the money it has been excellent apart form one thing, the brakes. I have never been impressed either with feel or power and now want to upgrade.
    Considering the use, do I stay with canti brakes such as Avid Shorty or go for the ones I do like look of, TRP CX 9? Plus BMX mini V brakes have also been mentioned as an option. Any guidance would be appreciated.

:?
  • try some gel brake blocks before upgrading the whole system. i had the same problem with a claude butler bike i bought it improved my stopping 60% which was enough.
  • S2Trash
    S2Trash Posts: 12
    I have Epilepsy , when it changed to full blown back in 2004 i was told to stay off the bike. 8 Months and i was out on it again. Rode a few Audax's to test the water so to speak without letting on i was unclean :roll: . Did a time trial at a local club just to see if any medical qustions would be asked. What are the rules on raceing with medical conditions and medication evern at amature leval ? If anybody knows ?. Thanks for your time Tom
  • chickench
    chickench Posts: 8
    sorry this post replaced an earlier incorrectly posted question...

Although I do like the Goblin/Hobgoblin debate. anyway, which one is harder in a fight? :wink:
  • Hi guys .

Be easy on me for this one , but I'm just getting into Sportif riding ... I have a new frame ( a carbon Ribble ) and wanted to ask your opinion on the gear to "hang" on it . Could anyone tell me the difference between say Campagnola Record and shimano Duraace ? People have told me that Shimano isn't really that much good and won't last very long , but what's the general opinion on here ?

Thanks in advance ! :)
  • Be serious people please!

Anyway I would like advice on what I would need to do to get my average speed up to competitive levels. Once the spring arrives im hoping to get more cycling done but as I stated in another thread, going further is relatively easy but getting faster is a bitch. I know about drafting techniques but I mean my own actual speed.
  • I have just signed up to an extreme charity cycle at work; to cycle from Melksham in Wiltshire to Monte Carlo in Monaco. a cycle of approximately 850 miles to be completed in 9 days, I will be cycling around 85 miles a day. I am fairly confident I can get my fitness to a good enough standard, but I'm questioning my bike's suitability and capabilities.

I own a 2012 Giant Rapid 3. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... ifications with the addition of SPD pedals. not sure if this bike will be comfortable enough to cycle this many miles. Ideally I would like to buy a proper road bike, but my finances do not make this possible. As a compromise I am thinking of converting the bike to dropdown bars, and changing to SPD-L pedals instead.

Some help with this would be very much appreciated, thanks :)
  • I have just signed up to an extreme charity cycle at work; to cycle from Melksham in Wiltshire to Monte Carlo in Monaco. a cycle of approximately 850 miles to be completed in 9 days, I will be cycling around 85 miles a day. I am fairly confident I can get my fitness to a good enough standard, but I'm questioning my bike's suitability and capabilities.

I own a 2012 Giant Rapid 3. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... ifications with the addition of SPD pedals. not sure if this bike will be comfortable enough to cycle this many miles. Ideally I would like to buy a proper road bike, but my finances do not make this possible. As a compromise I am thinking of converting the bike to dropdown bars, and changing to SPD-L pedals instead.

Some help with this would be very much appreciated, thanks :)

Buy a calculator. After that rate if will take ten days. :D
  • Dear Rob - how quick a TT rider are you?

Simon (ToC #500)
  • Hi, i from Russia and i want find Amateur team. What can you advice?)
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    My question: Can you unsticky this thread?
  • Where is the most aerodynamic place to mount your pump on the bike?

I was given a lenzyne pump for christmas and want to mount it on the bike as I am concerned that if I have it in the back of my shirt and crash it may impale me!! ( Or am i being a Nancy)

I was thinking about putting it behind the seat post and making a bracket, or would it better or make no difference on the downtube.
    Go retro.... its the future
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Where is the most aerodynamic place to mount your pump on the bike?

I was given a lenzyne pump for christmas and want to mount it on the bike as I am concerned that if I have it in the back of my shirt and crash it may impale me!! ( Or am i being a Nancy)

I was thinking about putting it behind the seat post and making a bracket, or would it better or make no difference on the downtube.

If you're racing - you don't need one. If you're not racing - aero doesn't matter.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,516
    Why are so few of these questions being answered? I'm particularly interested in the Russian Amateur Cycling scene.
  • Mundo69
    Mundo69 Posts: 12
    Hi
    What is the best pre race meal for a TT ?
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Imposter wrote:

If you're racing - you don't need one. If you're not racing - aero doesn't matter.
    Not even if you puncture half way around a 20 mile road course with no neutral service car?

I carried a pump on my seat tube every time I raced. Got me out of trouble three times (but not the time that I forgot to put an inner tube in my back pocket)
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Mundo69 wrote:
    Hi
    What is the best pre race meal for a TT ?
    Egg on toast
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Buckles wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Not even if you puncture half way around a 20 mile road course with no neutral service car?

I carried a pump on my seat tube every time I raced. Got me out of trouble three times (but not the time that I forgot to put an inner tube in my back pocket)

I never did - nor did anyone else I'm aware of while racing. The following car usually had a radio and people usually got a lift back, somehow. I only ever recall flatting in two races, once with neutral service, and the other time was right by the HQ anyway.