Steerer Tube Storage Kickstarter

legopro87
legopro87 Posts: 16
edited May 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Kickstarter project for what I am calling Steerer Tube Storage, or STS for short. There are some similar products out there already that store multitools in various areas of a bike frame but I wasn't a big fan of that idea. Most of those multitools look pretty complex and not as useful as the ones I already have. The STS is different. It makes a small waterproof storage area in the steerer tube to put whatever you want. What do you guys think?

Here's a link to the kickstarter page and a brief description. Let me know what you all think, good and bad.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1954487775/steerer-tube-storage?ref=b2v6uy

Steerer Tube Storage, or STS for short, is a simple way to maximize storage space on your bike without sacrificing style. The STS is a waterproof aluminum tube that is designed to fit inside a 1-1/8" steerer tube with the purpose of storing small items. Things like patch kits, thumb drives, keys, nuts, bolts, tools...

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So where does the star nut go?

Or how do you tension the headset bearings?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • USA only?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    nicely engineered, but I think it's a solution in search of a problem.

Even if you're suggesting whipping out the expander bung and topcap after tensioning the headset, it still looks like too small a tube to store anything remotely useful. I certainly wouldn't want nuts and bolts or keys rattling about inside my steerer. I'd be forever thinking my headset needed adjusting. And then I'd be trying to remember where I'd put the expander bung, bolt and topcap.....
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It's tiny space. Considering you need a pump, levers and innertube minimum on a bike - hiding the patches and some glue isn't really the answer. Wouldn't yours be easier inside the handlebar anyway ?
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Too small to be of any real use.

Could be used to smuggle cocaine, would have to be uncut to make it worthwhile smuggling such a small amount.
  • legopro87
    Thanks for the feedback, here's some answers to your questions...

The the starnut gets pushed down deeper into the steerer tube. It doesn't get removed from the bike. (I show the instillation in the video on the Kickstarter page. Give it a watch.)

The headset it adjusted the same way as always because the starnut and bolt are still there, just further down. I don't show headset preload adjustment in the video but it would basically be the same process as normal. The only difference is you need a full size allen wrench to reach the bolt.

I am selling USA only. Its a small project and I'm not a big business so I don't have ways to make international shipping affordable. Shipping within the US is already about $8 (included in the price), international shipping would run $35 or more. Maybe if this product takes off I'll invest in a discounted business account with fedex or team up with Amazon. But until then its just me printing packing labels in my garage.

Rattling hasn't been a problem. Been using mine on my SS Jones Plus for over a month and haven't heard any noise. I like keeping little stuff in it that always falls out of my underseat bag when I grab my big multitool. (presta to schrader adapter, a few links of chain, a few zip ties, spare misc bolts, $20 in case I want a sandwich and beer...) I put it all in a small ziplock bag and then put that in the STS. Works well and makes space in my underseat bag for my plus sized tubes and big multitool.
  • legopro87
    JGTR wrote:
    Too small to be of any real use.

Could be used to smuggle cocaine, would have to be uncut to make it worthwhile smuggling such a small amount.

Hahaha, Thats the funniest/most illegal use I've heard suggested so far. Here in California most people have been suggesting other substances.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The storage (well multitool) that goes inside a hollow crank axle (such as HT2) is now made to look like a good idea.....just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Too little volume and about 7/8" diameter storage is just nuts.

Having a carbon steerer and expander bung rules it out anyway for me.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • legopro87
    I got a lot of feedback and have relaunched the kickstarter with a lower price and international shipping to answer the biggest complaints. The new price is $25 including shipping within the US. Here's a link to Steerer Tube Storage II kickstarter page. Check it out and back my project if you're interested. Heres a link https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1954487775/steerer-tube-storage-ii?ref=af4cb0
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Have seen a very similar product for sale already, albeit this one required the steerer to be threaded on the inside