Cycling with Hayfever

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
Been having sore eyes with discharge for a few weeks now thought it was caused by the cold and the wind. but now its gone up a notch permanent runny nose and streaming eyes.

Im thinking its hayfever even though ive never suffered before.

Reading the web it seems all I can do is dose up on ant histamine and nasal sprays - i have distrust of chemicals and given the severity of symptoms not sure it would provide enough relief for a 3 - 4 house ride in the countryside....

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The meds tend to work though, as I wrote only this evening on the Biggest Cycling Fails thread, citirizine really takes the edge off my energy and coordination so I avoid it and use loretidine (sp?)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • kingrollo
    ive started on the meds tonight. And although i feel better - i feel one hint of pollen would start me off. how long does an episode of hayfever last ?
  • meanredspider
    kingrollo wrote:
    ive started on the meds tonight. And although i feel better - i feel one hint of pollen would start me off. how long does an episode of hayfever last ?

Depends what you mean by episode. You will react to exposure to certain pollens - when those pollens are about, you react unless the response is suppressed by antihistamine. At the moment in Scotland and the Cotswolds I get no reaction. But I do in Cambridge. Amongst other things, there's a lot of oil seed rape flowering here. One tablet protects me for most of a day but I wake with itchy eyes.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    triamcinolone works well
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • kingrollo
    I really don't like thought of suppressing my immune system.

What are the drugs you have mentioned more commonly known as ? - I am using benadryl - on the packet it says acrivastine -
    I haven't been to GP - whats good over the counter stuff ?
  • meanredspider
    kingrollo wrote:

What are the drugs you have mentioned more commonly known as ? - I am using benadryl - on the packet it says acrivastine -

Loratedine tends to be called just that. Tesco own brand as "One a day hayfever relief".

It's not so much your "immune system" as your "inflammatory system" (which maybe a subset). My daughter is being treated for acute leukaemia and they're perfectly relaxed about her having loratedine (again - dunno the spelling but you'll know it when you see it).

Whichever you take, just be aware that some can have those mild side effects I spoke of.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo wrote:

Loratedine tends to be called just that. Tesco own brand as "One a day hayfever relief".

It's not so much your "immune system" as your "inflammatory system" (which maybe a subset). My daughter is being treated for acute leukaemia and they're perfectly relaxed about her having loratedine (again - dunno the spelling but you'll know it when you see it).

Whichever you take, just be aware that some can have those mild side effects I spoke of.

Best wishes to your daughter mate. Puts my hayfever into perspective !!!
  • meanredspider
    kingrollo wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Best wishes to your daughter mate. Puts my hayfever into perspective !!!

Thanks - appreciate it. You don't have to spend long on a Teenage Cancer Trust ward to put most of your life into perspective. Still, hayfever can be debilitating and, at best, irritating (kinda by definition) - so my advice is just to try a few of the non-prescription meds and see which works best for you.
  • kingrollo
    Nothing worse than your kids being ill. its like everything else stops.

The meds are working. But I feel like a zombie, really thick head. I don't know if its early - but I don't feel like cycling in this state.

I am actually wondering if this is a cold not hayfever - or both. I have itchy eyes - but also feel cold when everyone is warm.
  • meanredspider
    kingrollo wrote:
    Nothing worse than your kids being ill. its like everything else stops.

The meds are working. But I feel like a zombie, really thick head. I don't know if its early - but I don't feel like cycling in this state.

I am actually wondering if this is a cold not hayfever - or both. I have itchy eyes - but also feel cold when everyone is warm.

Yup - that's what citirizine makes me feel like.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I find ceterizine is fine for me and doesn't give me any noticeable side effects. I'd give that a go first and then try a non-drowsy alternative if you react to the ceterizine. For me it basically gives me a symptom free summer. However I had a holiday in Normandy a few years back and my eyes were terrible the entire time I was there. I had to find and take anti-hystamine eye drops as well as my ceterizine during that holiday. I'm going to Brittany this summer, so planning to source some eye drops before I go.

Ceterizine is also dirt cheap if it works for you. I've just ordered 6 months supply on Amazon for £5.99.
  • kingrollo
    Well I haven't took a benadryl for 24 hours - still feel like a zombie !

I am now coughing up green phlegm - and seem to have a temperature. Also think the benadryl have lowered my mood, might be clashing with anti-d medication ...s~~~ happens
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    kingrollo wrote:
    I am now coughing up green phlegm - and seem to have a temperature. Also think the benadryl have lowered my mood, might be clashing with anti-d medication ...s~~~ happens
    That's not hayfever. See a doctor.