Small cassette for 11 speed shimano MTB mech?

robthehungrymonkey
robthehungrymonkey Posts: 616
edited April 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Does anybody know if there's a compatible cassette (either 11-32 or 11-36) that's compatible with a Shimano XTR mech?

This is for a gravel bike build, and I was unaware that road cassettes don't work :(

Any help much appreciated!
http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.

Comments

• Well, I'm not aware of there being any, but I've read on couple of occasions that 11 speed mechs work with 10 speed shifters and cassettes, at least as far as Shimano goes. Supposedly doesn't work with SRAM.
  • Well, I'm not aware of there being any, but I've read on couple of occasions that 11 speed mechs work with 10 speed shifters and cassettes, at least as far as Shimano goes. Supposedly doesn't work with SRAM.

Thanks, but too late to change anything other than the cassette.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unless you swap out the cogs I think you're stuck with 40.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Why wont a road cassette work is it the cog spacing or something?
  • cooldad
    I think the spacing is the same. It's just the shifter/mech combo that has different cable pull.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well he doesn't appear to be changing the mech or shifter, so while a road cassette would work it won't fit the freehub unless it's an 11speed road one which is probably his issue but he doesn't say so. An MTB cassette has to have a big enough large sprocket to overhang the end of the freehub which is why he'll be stuck with a 40 and a 32/36 won't work.

In other words the OPs post doesn't make sense/include enough information to really answer the question but a chunk of supposition came up with the above.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Well he doesn't appear to be changing the mech or shifter, so while a road cassette would work it won't fit the freehub unless it's an 11speed road one which is probably his issue but he doesn't say so. An MTB cassette has to have a big enough large sprocket to overhang the end of the freehub which is why he'll be stuck with a 40 and a 32/36 won't work.

In other words the OPs post doesn't make sense/include enough information to really answer the question but a chunk of supposition came up with the above.

Yes, it is on a road hub. So, can run a spacer for a MTB cassette to work, it works fine. But, ideally i'd like a smaller cassette.I assume that SRAM cassettes won't work? I believe the spacing between cogs is the issue?

There is very little anywhere on compatibility, it's all about the maximum cassette size for a given derailleur, rather than what actually works. There are actually more things saying they work fine (XTR Di2 shifting on road cassettes), than not online. But my experience says otherwise.
  • cooldad
    Sram and Shimano have the same spacing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    The Rookie wrote:

Yes, it is on a road hub. So, can run a spacer for a MTB cassette to work, it works fine. But, ideally i'd like a smaller cassette.I assume that SRAM cassettes won't work? I believe the spacing between cogs is the issue?

There is very little anywhere on compatibility, it's all about the maximum cassette size for a given derailleur, rather than what actually works. There are actually more things saying they work fine (XTR Di2 shifting on road cassettes), than not online. But my experience says otherwise.
    It will work. 11 speed spacing between Shimano/Sram mountain/road is the same. The only thing you have to worry about is the freehub width, which is fine if you have a road hub, so you can go for one of the 11-32 road cassettes.

Interestingly, the next generation Ultegra groupset is rumoured to have an 11-34 cassette which will go on 10 speed hubs...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So remove cassette, remove spacer, fit any SRAM/Shimano 11sp road cassette, shorten chain and tweak b-screw, go ride.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.