Route Planning Software/App

Big_Jack
Big_Jack Posts: 82
edited October 2018 in Tour & expedition
Hi all, just wondering what people use to plan routes out in advance.

I've got a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt so Strava, RidewithGPS, Komoot etc all sync up nicely. I have tried Komoot and quite like it - it seems to pick relatively sensible routes but it doesn't sync nicely to my Elemnt.

Does anyone have experience with the other services? I'm willing to subscribe to a paid one, if I know it's going to be worth the money.

Cheers,

Jack

Comments

• Thick Mike
    Thick Mike Posts: 337
    I Used Strava for my recent Dudley to Leighton Buzzard route. It prioritises routes that other cyclists use regularly, so there were no dual carriageways of busy A roads (apart for a short section into and out of Warwick where it was unavaoidable. You can also minimise elevation too if you want to avoid the hilly stuff.
  • steve1978
    steve1978 Posts: 30
    I must be missing something on Strava as i thought it just recorded your route, not offered you a route? i often get on my bike and think i would like to do 25 miles or so but i am fed up of the same routes. it would be nice if the app could suggest a route. I know bikehub does but its a bit hit and miss.
  • pfishuk
    pfishuk Posts: 20
    cycle.travel works for that kind of thing - stick in a starting point and hit suggest a ride - will export a GPX file as well but sometimes needs uploading to ridewithgps and then back out to work with my Garmin 520.
    http://cycle.travel/
  • Thick Mike
    Thick Mike Posts: 337
    Steve1978 wrote:
    I must be missing something on Strava as i thought it just recorded your route, not offered you a route? i often get on my bike and think i would like to do 25 miles or so but i am fed up of the same routes. it would be nice if the app could suggest a route. I know bikehub does but its a bit hit and miss.

You can choose start and finish points and it will suggest a route between the two based on popular toads ridden nearby. Don't think it will suggest a random ride from a particular point though.
  • Big_Jack
    Strava route planning is only on the website :) Not the app
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Ride with GPS. Best by far IMO.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    Another vote for RideWithGPS. I've successfully used it for quite extensive tours - plan all the days ahead and then export the routes as TCX files to my GPS. For the occasions where a selected route turns out to be not suitable when you're actually riding it - eg you plot a route on a French D road, but it turns out to carry quite a lot of traffic - I used OsmAnd on my phone to plot an alternative route to the end of the day.

RideWithGPS also have a phone app - you can download routes planned with their web site on the PC to your phone and the app will give you voice turn indications rather than the beeps and arrows that a GPS provides. But you'll need some method of mounting the phone and a waterproof cover for it for rainy days.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    Thick Mike wrote:
    popular toads
    That should be the name of a band.
  • craigr
    craigr Posts: 53
    bikehike.co.uk free (you can donate) and you don't have to sign up to use, etc.
    Works great with Garmin 520, you can set course points (turns, etc)
  • Big_Jack
    thanks all for the suggestions! I've been using the strava heatmaps lately - I'm going to give RidewithGPS a go for the popular vote, and also bikehike as an 'indie' option.

Cheers again!
  • GreenFox
    GreenFox Posts: 2
    I really like gpxeditor.

You can switch maps while you are plotting between open cycle map and OS 1:50 map which I find really useful. It also "joins" the points you plot, using sensible cycle routes (most of the time).

It does have a few annoying features but it is the best by far of all the route plotting tools I've tried.
  • Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    And if you're off touring, want to plan some routes, and only have a phone with you, then my experience is that the combination of Locus Map Pro with BRouter as the navigation data source does a good job, and creates GPX files that can optionally be exported to a dedicated bicycle GPS if you don't want to use the phone itself for guidance. Android only, I'm afraid - I've no idea what works on the Jesus phone.
  • arnieA380
    arnieA380 Posts: 59
    Hi all, im matt

can i just have some advice please.

I currently use KOMOOT to when cycling to/from work as it allowed me select a start and finish and the turn-by-turn naviation is brilliant and the maps are clear etc etc.

Now on my days off id like to go cycling but i dont know where, so this is my question, iv got ridewithgps installed but not used it yet, just wondering ridewithgps, allowed me to select a starting point and shows me routes i can do in the local area correct? as i dont know any cycling routes just yet. im just making sure before i end up paying for it.

i did use map my ride the other day to try and follow a route what somebody had taken around kinder scout in high peaks, but unfortunately dont think it provides turn-by-turn navigation as 1. i got lost 2. it doesnt seem very clear as to which direction the route has been cycled in. and it doesnt seem very good at telling you which road/path you should be on if their are two close together arghhh
  • Look at Garmin connect and Garmin edge touring GPS unit and Smartphone app Garmin connect

Paper maps state Rand McNally
  • I have used various tools and my final choice is MapOut on iPhone as it provides free of cost offline maps and good and easy to use route planning functionality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekqL9_-UQ9A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxrp7AoLDg&t=38s
  • I have used various tools and my final choice is MapOut on iPhone as it provides free of cost offline maps and good and easy to use route planning functionality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekqL9_-UQ9A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxrp7AoLDg&t=38s
  • Another vote for ride with gps. Aside from planning your own route then you can search routes within an area or using a keyword. So, so handy if go somewhere on holiday as it means you can steal someone else’s route!

Friends use Komoot and I might look to that for planning off road stuff esp as has off grid planning feature.