Fatigue and training

Bozabyka
Bozabyka Posts: 252
I have done some training over the winter followed this plan.
http://www.timetrialtraining.co.uk/Buy%20the%20Book.htm
After xmas I decided to do four sessions per week two intervals, one brisk ride and a longer ride on a sunday.
Much of the interval training has been 2x20s and I have been pleased to see some gains.
I have realised that my diet was appalling and started eating better and drink a milkshake after training to ensure I am not starving myself.
The nights are now getting lighter and the same old pattern is happening.
I start to miss rides and TTs because I am tired.
I was ok until I increased the intervals after xmas.
I have an arthritic condition which is known to cause fatigue. For this I am prescribed Naproxen and Amyltriplene to help with pain and sleep. I am in my forties.
Should my training take my illness into consideration?
What do others do with similar conditions?

Comments

• VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    How do you define feeling tired? The reason I ask, is that a subjective feeling of tiredness often doesn't correlate with a subsequent good quality workout. But if you actually abandon the workout/race then you'll never know.

Your weekly load isn't particularly high, if that's what you're asking.

And sorry can't speak for your condition, though I am also slightly arthritic, I don't take medication and don't feel particularly fatigued.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Bozabyka wrote:
    I have done some training over the winter followed this plan.
    http://www.timetrialtraining.co.uk/Buy%20the%20Book.htm
    After xmas I decided to do four sessions per week two intervals, one brisk ride and a longer ride on a sunday.
    Much of the interval training has been 2x20s and I have been pleased to see some gains.
    I have realised that my diet was appalling and started eating better and drink a milkshake after training to ensure I am not starving myself.
    The nights are now getting lighter and the same old pattern is happening.
    I start to miss rides and TTs because I am tired.
    I was ok until I increased the intervals after xmas.
    I have an arthritic condition which is known to cause fatigue. For this I am prescribed Naproxen and Amyltriplene to help with pain and sleep. I am in my forties.
    What do others do with similar conditions?

So, for the last 3 months Sunday was the only day where you may have ridden at a low intensity, the rest of the time you're smashing it; you may well be smashing on Sunday too.

Have you considered that you may have a very limited base fitness on which to build?
  • Bozabyka wrote:
    The training you do should take into consideration all aspects of your life. Depending on the condition, you may be well advised to seek medical advice, but it might help for that person to be a doctor with experience working with athletes.
  • joe2008 wrote:
    So, for the last 3 months Sunday was the only day where you may have ridden at a low intensity, the rest of the time you're smashing it; you may well be smashing on Sunday too.
    Don't forget he has 3 days/week off the bike when he's not riding at all.

As much as we want to assist, it's pretty hard to assess someone's specific training issues without a far more detailed understanding of them, their riding and experience and various rest of life factors. So all we can really do is provide general guidance.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Assuming the dose of Amitriptyline is 10-20mgs at night you can be reasonably sure this isn't a factor.

I also struggle to balance wanting to get faster - and hence do higher intensity sessions - and fatigue. Joe Friel advocates having more recovery time in between high intensity sessions as we age (I'm 52) but I wonder if this simply dilutes the training effect such that you limit your training load and hence reduce the adaptations that might otherwise result?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Svetty wrote:
    I also struggle to balance wanting to get faster - and hence do higher intensity sessions - and fatigue. Joe Friel advocates having more recovery time in between high intensity sessions as we age (I'm 52) but I wonder if this simply dilutes the training effect such that you limit your training load and hence reduce the adaptations that might otherwise result?
    If you think you need a longer recovery time then surely it's far more important to be rested enough to do the next session properly. Don't forget that Friel and many others recommend increasing load over a 3-week period then having an easier fourth week. Bear in mind that some people just recover more easily than others. n=1, as they say.

One key thing I keep reading is how important sleep is to recovery - both quality and quantity.

If 4 sessions a week and it's making you tired then I'd drop one. Or maybe even spend 2 weeks easy and just do the 2 least intense rides. Then see if you can add an interval session without it having a detrimental effect.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    Naproxen and other NDAIDS can have a range of side effects (most listed in that huge piece of paper that comes in the box). I take NSAIDSfor arthritis and have experienced a loss of power and strength, and I suspect a lowering of testosterone levels - all known side effects. I'm guessing that you also take a PPI to prevent the NSAID causing stomach ulcers etc. These inhibit the absorption of magnesium (in particular), which could be a cause of tiredness when training. I use a transdermal magnesium oil (by Better You).
    A wise person told me that any health issue changes the size of the envelope that you can train and race in. It doesn't stop you rAcing etc, but you have to do it all within your particular envelope.
    As my doctor said, I could stop the medication and avoid the side effects, but I probably wouldn't be able to ride the bike at all either without the medication.
    TTing is ideal for this rather than road racing, as you can set your own envelope.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    giropaul wrote:
    ..... I use a transdermal magnesium snake oil (by Better You)......
    FIFY ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D