Can I go tubeless with these tyres?

DLSilsbury
DLSilsbury Posts: 19
edited April 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, my mountain bike currently has these tires:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/compo ... ort/105772

There's no mention of them being tubeless compatible but I've heard that they don't necessarily have to be. Do I need new tires? Or will these be OK? I'd prefer to use the ones I've got already.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Most will work with the right rim tape, sealant and valves, but wire bead are harder to seat properly than folding bead.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a go to save myself £80 or so quid then.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You may struggle to get the wired bead to seal, as Cool Dad says.
    Try using the Specialized 2Bliss Rim Tapes. They only cost a couple of quid each and I have converted 2 sets of wheels using them without any problems at all.
    There are always plenty of Specialized tyres on sale so you may be better off buying a pair in Control or Grid flavour and avoid the hassle of your current tyres not sealing.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Thanks JBA, I'm a little reluctant to buy new tyres because these are brand new (came with bike). Are you saying the tape you recommend would help with my tires or is that just general advice?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I would guess at general advice.

I don't know about Spesh tyres, but a lot of OE fit tyres are nowhere near as good as the proper option aftermarket ones.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks Rookie, yes I have heard that elsewhere.. I'll probably end up getting new tyres then.