Ivory clampdown in China

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,195
edited April 2017 in The cake stop
http://www.itv.com/news/2017-03-31/chin ... ormal-ban/

Yay. This time it looks like a permanent development unlike the lip service actions they have done before.

...but I wonder if other countries can do the same for Rhino horn:

https://www.savetherhino.org/rhino_info ... rhino_horn
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• pinno
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Don't hold your breath.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    If rhinos and elephants could be sustainably farmed for their horns and tusks would you be ok with that?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Now it's banned can I get more for a pair of these bloody things?

D9FE8674-B2BC-4E72-9879-80B311B530B1_zpsjalgbqur.jpg
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    Chris Bass wrote:
    If rhinos and elephants could be sustainably farmed for their horns and tusks would you be ok with that?

Yes.

However, the threat to wildlife is often about reduction of habitat and human encroachment. Starting a breeding programme out with the natural habitat could potentially leave that habitat vulnerable.
    Anyway, there's little need to kill the animal. Shortening of a tusk or horn rather than amputation. It's much better for the animals well being that the Elephant or Rhino has a minimum length.
    This current wave of starvation in East Africa is on the back of civil war and a period of drought. However, in the last 20 years, goat herds have proliferated. One Nomad interviewed said he had lost his whole herd of 100 goats. 100!? Jesus wept; goat herds were traditionally less than 25 - 50 per tribe (Masai etc).
    Whilst we are witnessing a humanitarian crises, what we are also seeing is the balance of Savannah being so degraded that greenery is non-existent. A huge part of this is down to goats. We can chuck as much money as we like at it and (as we have done before) but without addressing agricultural deficiencies - irrigation, growing different crops, sheep varieties rather than goats (Jacob sheep for example), those waves of drought (partly driven by Global warming) will continue eternally and become ever bigger.
    The Ethiopian highlands have sufficient rainfall to satisfy a huge population but there's no irrigation, water retention and distribution facility for example. Paddy fields and a goat cull would go a long way though.

Anyway, i've spouted enough but ultimately, poaching in Africa is not just about the decimation of a species. Poaching funds civil war, arms purchases and corruption.
    We await the trial of the Queen of poaching who was arrested in Tanzania last year. Fair play to the Tanzanian government (who are also in receipt of Chinese investment). It's been a huge scalp:

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Chinese-Iv ... index.html

Nice try Seano. I ought to kill you for a stunt like that anyway. Maybe I will :wink:
    "It's roast Womble for dinner tonight girls - we're going to have Uncle Bulgaria with roast potatoes and veg."
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    One small step in the right direction.

I really wish someone with influence would declare that eating a tiger hampton does absolutely funk all.
  • pinno
    Motogull wrote:

I really wish someone with influence would declare that eating a tiger hampton does absolutely funk all.

Not only that, crushed Tiger bone. The best of it is, a consignment of Tiger bone was intercepted by Indian police. When analysed, about 15% of it was actually Tiger bone. So if the mix of bones getting through is not all genuine, it's plainly obvious that any benefits to the use of Tiger bone is simply placebo.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Does this mean I have sell my piano?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Perhaps learn to play it first.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Is that what music lovers say?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Is that what music lovers say?
    Stropteen plays it so they may have a point.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Stevo 666 wrote:

No, You can keep the black keys :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Motogull wrote:

I really wish that same person would also declare that praying has the same effect.
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Garry H wrote:
    Motogull wrote:

I really wish that same person would also declare that praying has the same effect.

I get your drift. Prayers are harmless though. Acting on unfounded beliefs or influencing political decisions on the other hand is dangerous.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Motogull wrote:

The whole "eat bits of a strong animal to make you strong" is a category of folk belief known as Sympathetic Magic. On the other hand, having a rhino horn administered by a qualified rhino will quickly take your mind off all your other problems.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er