Riders speaking their mind

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
edited April 2017 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racin ... ium=Social

Italian cycling in the doldrums.
“We only have Vincenzo Nibali,” Cipollini said. “He is the only real talent at our disposal. As for the rest they are only extras”

Cipollini even includes Vuelta a España winner Fabio Aru in his list of “extras” saying that he is “waiting for a sign” from Aru that he is a truly talented rider.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    In many ways it's a doping thing. As the sport moves away from it, the areas that were its biggest users are those that are the slowest to adapt. Spain is struggling to find new talent too (they have Soler)

Moscon will a big deal. I think Colbrelli has potential as a classics rider. Ulissi has his moments, Rosa's not old. Formolo and Bettiol could be good at a better team.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • 25 and under UCI

France bring them through slow and proper

ALAPHILIPPE Julian Quick-Step Floors 2526
    COQUARD Bryan Direct Energie 1499
    DÉMARE Arnaud FDJ 1101
    BARGUIL Warren Team Sunweb 1027
    CALMEJANE Lilian Direct Energie 633
    LATOUR Pierre AG2R La Mondiale 585
    BOUDAT Thomas Direct Energie 435
    BARBIER Rudy AG2R La Mondiale 403
    SÉNÉCHAL Florian Cofidis, Solutions Crédits 324
    VENTURINI Clément Cofidis, Solutions Crédits 312
    ELISSONDE Kenny Team Sky 295
    TURGIS Anthony Cofidis, Solutions Crédits 290
    GAUDU David FDJ 265
    MARTIN Guillaume Wanty - Groupe Gobert 246

Italy not re-building from the bottom up

BETTIOL Alberto Cannondale-Drapac Pro Cycling Team 1149
    MOSCON Gianni Team Sky 608
    VILLELLA Davide Cannondale-Drapac Pro Cycling Team 569
    FORMOLO Davide Cannondale-Drapac Pro Cycling Team 495
    MARECZKO Jakub Wilier Triestina 441
    ALBANESE Vincenzo Bardiani - CSF 285
    TIZZA Marco GM Europa Ovini 227
    BONIFAZIO Niccolo Bahrain Merida Pro Cycling Team 196
    VENDRAME Andrea Androni Giocattoli 191
    RAVASI Edward UAE Team Emirates 176
    CONTI Valerio UAE Team Emirates 167
    BONUSI Raffaello Androni Giocattoli 156
    CONSONNI Simone UAE Team Emirates 153
    SIMION Paolo Bardiani - CSF 150

Spain :shock:

Carlos Movistar Team 551
    SOLER Marc Movistar Team 446
    ROSON Jaime Caja Rural - Seguros RGA 228
    VERONA Carlos ORICA-Scott 181
    GARCIA CORTINA Ivan Bahrain Merida Pro Cycling Team 102
    MAS Enric Quick-Step Floors 99
    ARANBURU Alex Caja Rural - Seguros RGA 78
    ARISTI Mikel Delko Marseille Provence KTM 73
    ZURITA Francesc Team Vorarlberg 68
    RUBIO Diego Caja Rural - Seguros RGA 65
    LASTRA Jonathan Caja Rural - Seguros RGA 46
    PEDRERO Antonio Movistar Team 43
    LÓPEZ Daniel Burgos-BH 41
    ARCAS Jorge Movistar Team 41
    GONZÁLEZ Adrián Euskadi Basque Country - Murias 29
    REGUERO Gabriel Team Differdange - Losch 28
    ITURRIA Mikel Euskadi Basque Country - Murias 26
  • RichN95.
    25 and under UCI
    -Snip-
    But France have several teams given special treatment by ASO and there are lots of races in France which are contested by basically only French teams which all boost those rankings.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    It's probably also a funding issue. Aren't the Italian Velodromes in disrepair as well as funding probably being cut due to general economic struggles?

British cycling has shown what funding with proper management can achieve (despite the recent PR issues or possible doping issues).
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95 wrote:
    25 and under UCI
    -Snip-
    But France have several teams given special treatment by ASO and there are lots of races in France which are contested by basically only French teams which all boost those rankings.

But Italy have several teams given special treatment by RCS and there are lots of races in Italy which are contested by basically only Italian teams which all boost those rankings.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    If Aru is an extra, how many countries actually have 3 riders at the moment?
  • TheBigBean
    Here's the top 40 UCI ranked riders sort by country. Aru is currently ranked 54.

13 (15) Michael MATTHEWS Australia SUN
    16 (16) Richie PORTE Australia BMC
    27 (27) Rohan DENIS Australia BMC
    3 (4) Greg VAN AVERMAET Belgium BMC
    17 (22) Tom BOONEN Belgium QST
    22 (44) Oliver NAESEN Belgium ALM
    24 (21) Baptiste PLANCKAERT Belgium KAT
    30 (25) Sep VANMARCKE Belgium CDT
    35 (82) Philippe GILBERT Belgium QST
    36 (34) Tim WELLENS Belgium LTS
    2 (2) Nairo QUINTANA Colombia MOV
    7 (6) Jhoan Esteban CHAVES RUBIO Colombia ORS
    29 (30) Fernando GAVIRIA RENDON Colombia QST
    34 (33) Rigoberto URAN URAN Colombia CDT
    38 (35) Sergio Luis HENAO MONTOYA Colombia SKY
    8 (8) Julian ALAPHILIPPE France QST
    9 (9) Romain BARDET France ALM
    20 (20) Thibaut PINOT France FDJ
    26 (19) Bryan COQUARD France DEN
    28 (29) Nacer BOUHANNI France COF
    37 (36) Arnaud DEMARE France FDJ
    40 (42) Tony GALLOPIN France LTS
    31 (48) John DEGENKOLB Germany TFS
    33 (32) Marcel KITTEL Germany QST
    4 (3) Chris FROOME Great Britain SKY
    23 (23) Mark CAVENDISH Great Britain DDD
    39 (49) Adam YATES Great Britain ORS
    12 (14) Daniel MARTIN Ireland QST
    10 (10) Diego ULISSI Italy UAD
    19 (26) Sonny COLBRELLI Italy TBM
    21 (18) Giacomo NIZZOLO Italy TFS
    14 (12) Tom DUMOULIN Netherlands SUN
    25 (24) Bauke MOLLEMA Netherlands TFS
    11 (11) Alexander KRISTOFF Norway KAT
    32 (37) Rafal MAJKA Poland BOH
    15 (13) Rui Alberto FARIA DA COSTA Portugal UAD
    1 (1) Peter SAGAN Slovakia BOH
    5 (5) Alejandro VALVERDE BELMONTE Spain MOV
    6 (7) Alberto CONTADOR VELASCO Spain TFS
    18 (17) Jon IZAGUIRRE INSAUSTI Spain TBM
  • Italian cycling' problems: Less and less young uns wanting to take up cycling, Italian papers (inc Gazzetta) wall-to-wall coverage of footballers playing up the bling lifestyle which is FAR more attractive to teenagers, an incompetent cycling fed, bugger all in the way of effective pathways for kids who do want to become professional cyclists. And then there's the doping problem. Again, a lazy federation, and juniors being told by their coaches that all the pros are at it and that's what they have to do too to make it.

Bad juju.
  • Italian cycling' problems: Less and less young uns wanting to take up cycling, Italian papers (inc Gazzetta) wall-to-wall coverage of footballers playing up the bling lifestyle which is FAR more attractive to teenagers, an incompetent cycling fed, bugger all in the way of effective pathways for kids who do want to become professional cyclists. And then there's the doping problem. Again, a lazy federation, and juniors being told by their coaches that all the pros are at it and that's what they have to do too to make it.

Bad juju.

And 'oh, by the way, if you want this pro-contract please bring me a brown envelope containing 30 grand, ta'.

Because running a 'pro' team is a lot like.... etc etc
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Italian cycling' problems: Less and less young uns wanting to take up cycling, Italian papers (inc Gazzetta) wall-to-wall coverage of footballers playing up the bling lifestyle which is FAR more attractive to teenagers, an incompetent cycling fed, bugger all in the way of effective pathways for kids who do want to become professional cyclists. And then there's the doping problem. Again, a lazy federation, and juniors being told by their coaches that all the pros are at it and that's what they have to do too to make it.

Bad juju.

I was in a taxi in Rome in 2008 when the news came on the radio that Ricco had been popped in the Tour. The driver said 'e finito'; he thought that cycling would never recover it's credibility. That along with the general economic malaise means enthusiasm and finance for cycling at all levels is probably hard to come by.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Italian cycling' problems: Less and less young uns wanting to take up cycling, Italian papers (inc Gazzetta) wall-to-wall coverage of footballers playing up the bling lifestyle which is FAR more attractive to teenagers, an incompetent cycling fed, bugger all in the way of effective pathways for kids who do want to become professional cyclists. And then there's the doping problem. Again, a lazy federation, and juniors being told by their coaches that all the pros are at it and that's what they have to do too to make it.

Bad juju.

I was in a taxi in Rome in 2008 when the news came on the radio that Ricco had been popped in the Tour. The driver said 'e finito'; he thought that cycling would never recover it's credibility. That along with the general economic malaise means enthusiasm and finance for cycling at all levels is probably hard to come by.

In terms of credibility / doping - I always got the impression the Italian's were somewhat 'meh' about that - looking at how De Luca etc were always able to return without much challenge. Pantani is still venerated.

The economic argument, along with the lack of competitiveness from Italians (now they cant just juice to the gills as per the 90s) and the other reasons RR2 lists above, are spot on.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Bad juju.

In terms of credibility / doping - I always got the impression the Italian's were somewhat 'meh' about that - looking at how De Luca etc were always able to return without much challenge. Pantani is still venerated.

The economic argument, along with the lack of competitiveness from Italians (now they cant just juice to the gills as per the 90s) and the other reasons RR2 lists above, are spot on.

EDIT - As for Mr Cipo himself, perhaps during one of the 200 times a day he looks in a mirror, he could also ask himself how it was he was such a 'star' in his (9 blood bags a season) days....
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    edited March 2017
    One word COLOMBIA - 5 peeps in that list :shock: and Pantano will be there soon
    (ok more than one word..)
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • RichN95.
    josame wrote:
    One word COLUMBIA - 5 peeps in that list :shock: and Pantano will be there soon
    If you're going to use just one word, at least spell it correctly. ColOmbia
  • TheBigBean
    RichN95 wrote:
    josame wrote:
    One word COLUMBIA - 5 peeps in that list :shock: and Pantano will be there soon
    If you're going to use just one word, at least spell it correctly. ColOmbia

I think only Quintana would pass the Cippo test at the moment.

The hypothesis needs more work.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    wouldn't less doping mean that the actually talented riders would find it easier to rise to the top.

I'd love to have half the talent that Aru has got.

Was always a fan of Cipo as he was such a massive personality, and at the time I didn't know about the dark side of the sport.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    http://nos.nl/artikel/2165842-dumoulin- ... orden.html

Dumolin

"I won't stay at home to watch the cycling, but I'm quite chilled/happy when I chill infront of it. I'll watch the whole race, but I'm hardly objective. I know the game; I know the riders, the teams. I know why certain teams do certain things. I see what happens. But if you don't know anything about cycling it's very dramatic to follow."

On Velon. "You've got to see the ideas of Velon in a bigger picture: it's a renewal of cycling"

"if you, for example, are a fan of Bram Tankink (Oh Tom, how did you know??!), then you have no idea where he is if you watch on TV. You want to know that instantly. There's very little information shared. That's the real point of Velon. It needs to get slimmer. We live in a time when your phone can do everything and then you watch the cycling on telly and it's quite disappointing. Furthermore, I know i understand it, but 95% won't."
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    "if you, for example, are a fan of Bram Tankink (Oh Tom, how did you know??!), then you have no idea where he is if you watch on TV. You want to know that instantly. There's very little information shared. That's the real point of Velon. It needs to get slimmer. We live in a time when your phone can do everything and then you watch the cycling on telly and it's quite disappointing. Furthermore, I know i understand it, but 95% won't."

He forgets we have Carlton to explain the nuances for us....
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    RichN95 wrote:
    25 and under UCI
    -Snip-

This is true but the standard is still very high
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Remember him and Kittel having a tête-à-tête in Dubai?

UCI statement on Andrey Grivko

The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) announces that its Disciplinary Commission has decided to suspend Mr Andrey Grivko for a period of 45 days from 1st May to 14th June 2017, following an incident which occurred at the Dubai Tour on 2nd February 2017.

The decision is based on article 12.1.005 of the UCI Regulations.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.