Golden age dawning?

clanton
clanton Posts: 1,289
edited April 2017 in Pro race
With the Classics in full swing and my favourite races to come I was thinking: are we on the cusp of a new golden age in one day races? The current crop of talent looks set to give us some incredible racing for years to come: Sagan, GVA, SVM, Alaphillipe, Gaviria, Kristoff, Degenkolb, Kwiatkowksi.... just to name a few!

Have we ever had it so good?

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I don't know if it's any different than any other time. (And there's nine years difference between the youngest and oldest in your list of riders).

Meanwhile, did you know that Cavendish, Froome and Van Avermaet were born in the same week . Has there been a week with better future palamares?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    RichN95 wrote:
    I don't know if it's any different than any other time. (And there's nine years difference between the youngest and oldest in your list of riders).

Meanwhile, did you know that Cavendish, Froome and Van Avermaet were born in the same week . Has there been a week with better future palamares?

The week Merckx was born?

(always the answer :) )
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I think this is a damn good time to be a cycling fan. Loads of good riders as mentioned above, and good rides being done. Add in the generally credible feel to what we're watching then I'm inclined to say it's as good as we've had it for quite a while.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    It's looking good but not sure it's exceptional. Boonen and Cancellera could have been so much better had we not had a series of misfortunes that stopped them going head to head more often and doping bans must have robbed us of some contenders even though off the top of my head it affected the Grand Tours more.

Sagan is certainly a special talent but of the rest we need them to get some more classics and worlds in the bag - even GvA for all his wins in the last few years only has one really big one hasn't he ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    RichN95 wrote:

The racing is starting from much further out in the Flanders races than it used to. Breaking open quite early on.